The Fox Walk in Châtel-Saint-Germain

From the town hall, the route follows Rue du Ruisseau then climbs via Rue Jean d’Apremont, Rue de Cléry and Rue du Rebénot before joining Chemin des Goules and Route de Guerre. The route crosses the woods, passes near Captain Apchié’s grave, runs alongside Fort Jeanne-d’Arc and the old graves linked to the fighting of 1870. It continues towards the Moscou farm and the hamlet of Le Reposoir, then descends towards Châtel via the Square du Tagnon, Rue de Bonne-Fontaine and Ruelle de Gravelotte to return to the town hall.

Details

89364099
Creation:
Last update:
Last review:
  • Walking
    Activity: Walking
  • ↔
    Distance: 5.21 mi
  • ◔
    Average duration: 3h 00 
  • ▲
    Difficulty: Easy

  • ⚐
    Back to start: Yes
  • ↗
    Ascent: + 702 ft
  • ↘
    Descent: - 873 ft

  • ▲
    Highest point: 1,234 ft
  • ▼
    Lowest point: 650 ft

Description of the walk

Start at the Town Hall Square.

(S/E) Walk up Rue Jeanne d’Arc to the Ruisseau de Montvaux.

(1) Turn left onto Rue du Ruisseau and follow the stream until you reach Chemin des Dames. Turn right.

(2) Cross Rue de Verdun (M643) with care and first turn right then left to take Rue Jean d’Apremont on the left. Take Rue de Cléry to the left, then Rue des Chauvaux opposite.

(3) Turn right onto Rue du Rebénot. Enter the woods via Chemin des Goules.

(4) Cross Route de Guerre and continue straight on.

(5) As you come out of the woods, on the right, you’ll find the old grave of Captain Apchié, who fell on 18 August 1870 and was later buried in Toul. Walk alongside the motocross track.

(6) Carry on straight ahead along the old Roman road. At the end of the road, turn left and go round Fort Jeanne d’Arc. Turn right and pass the fort’s entrance (a cobbled road); continue for about 200 metres until you reach the footpath.

(7) Take this path on the right. Before leaving the woods, take the path on the right. Numerous graves can be seen here, bearing witness to the Prussian charges of 18 August against the St-Hubert farmhouse inn and the Point du Jour farm, which stood to the right of the so-called ‘Paris Road’.

(8) At the end of the road, on the left, there is a memorial stone in honour of the defenders of the French lines. Turn right onto the path leading to the Moscou farm. Then keep left and then right. At the high point beyond the farm, the hamlet known as Le Reposoir was formerly the site of an 18th-century waystation on the road from Longwy to Metz.

(9) Join the Route de Guerre on the left, then the road to Vernéville. At the car park, take the road on the right and head down towards Châtel.

(10) On the right, cross the Square du Tagnon, walk alongside the cemetery and take Rue de Bonne Fontaine opposite.

(11) Turn left into Ruelle de Verdun. Cross Rue de Verdun M643 by first turning left then right.

(1) Continue straight ahead to reach the town hall square (S/E).

Waypoints

  1. S/E : mi 0 - alt. 833 ft - Town Hall Square
  2. 1 : mi 0.09 - alt. 656 ft - Junction marking the end of the circular loop
  3. 2 : mi 0.35 - alt. 653 ft - Crossing Rue de Verdun. M643
  4. 3 : mi 0.77 - alt. 702 ft - Rue du Rebénot
  5. 4 : mi 1 - alt. 820 ft - War Route
  6. 5 : mi 1.3 - alt. 1,040 ft - Grave
  7. 6 : mi 1.49 - alt. 1,096 ft - Ancient Roman road
  8. 7 : mi 2.08 - alt. 1,099 ft - Walk
  9. 8 : mi 2.6 - alt. 1,234 ft - Memorial stone
  10. 9 : mi 3.79 - alt. 1,056 ft - War Route
  11. 10 : mi 4.82 - alt. 696 ft - Square du Tagnon
  12. 11 : mi 5.01 - alt. 686 ft - Ruelle de Verdun
  13. S/E : mi 5.21 - alt. 669 ft - Town Hall Square

Notes

Several car parks near the start of the walk.

Worth a visit

Monuments to the 1870 War.

Other walks in the area

For more walks, use our search engine .

The GPS track and description are the property of this route's author. Please do not copy them without permission.