Above Bardonecchia, this cross has a particularly striking view of the winding road connecting the exit from the Fréjus tunnel to the Italian cities, beginning with Turin.
Technical sheet No. 4098752
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 8.11 km
Vertical gain : 911 m
Vertical drop : 902 m
Highest point : 2,226 m
Lowest point : 1,330 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Areas : Alps , Mont-Cenis (Massif) , Cerces , Dauphiné
Location : Bardonecchia
Starting point : N 45.083785° / E 6.699875°
Park at the large car park on the edge of the Vallone de Fréjus stream located north of Bardonecchia (S). Cross the stream and take a right on the track which soon turns into trail.
(1) Follow this trail, marked in White and Red, in a north-east direction. Then begin a long climb that is very dry and mostly without shade to reach the corners of the former military track.
(2) Continue on the path ignoring the track to Croce de Chabriere (the Chabriere cross), and on to the nearby summit, returning to the cross.
(3) Head off the track to the right through the wood heading north-west then south-west and finally south to the isolated cottage of Il Collet. NB On the attached map the legend suggests that the start is located in alpine area and the track is not mentioned, this is not true - it is in the forest and on a wide track.
(4) Continue on the access road to the mountain pastures and reach the hamlet of Vernet.
(5) Turn right on the almost horizontal path in a north-westerly direction, leading to the hamlet of Chaffaux.
(6) Reach a wide track, the head left and in a southerly direction as far as the top of the hamlet of La Moutte.
(7) Continue in that direction to soon come upon the car park.
D/A : km 0 - alt. 1,339 m
1 : km 0.45 - alt. 1,404 m - Crossroads of the pass and the trail.
2 : km 1.96 - alt. 1,869 m - Crossroads of the military road.
3 : km 2.72 - alt. 2,178 m
4 : km 2.96 - alt. 2,226 m
5 : km 4.77 - alt. 1,873 m - Il Collet chalet
6 : km 5.82 - alt. 1,630 m - The hamlet of Vernet
7 : km 6.59 - alt. 1,647 m - The hamlet of Chaffaux
8 : km 7.62 - alt. 1,437 m - Hamlet of La Moutte
D/A : km 8.11 - alt. 1,339 m
When the cottages are vacant, this is a great opportunity for a picnic.
Water is everywhere after the Il Collet chalet (fountains at Il Collet, Vernet, Chaffaux and even next to the path itself.
Warning: prolonged sun exposure during the climb to the cross. This hike should be done early in the morning. For the return journey this isn’t a problem as it is in the shade of the forest.
Another note: the slope is very sustained throughout the ascent of the cross (see diagram).
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
Bardonecchia is an Olympic site during the 2006 Olympics hosted by Turin.
The Italian military fortifications protecting the border, including the Bramafan fort that dominates South Bardonecchia Bramafan
Other walks in the area
Starting point in Val-des-Prés - 05 - Hautes-Alpes
Lovely loop above Val-des-Prés providing a bird's eye view of the famous Clarée Valley.
Starting point in Lanslevillard - 73 - Savoie
A half-day hike for intermediate walkers. You'll walk through different settings that offer a large range of Vanoise flora, while benefiting from an extraordinary view over the summits of Maurienne and the Ecrins national park.
Starting point in Abriès - 05 - Hautes-Alpes
Three days walking through the passes and cabins in this region and opportunities to explore this lovely area. Enjoy an Italian tradition: agroturismo by residing overnight in one of the farms alongside calves, cows, pigs, chickens etc.
Starting point in Abriès - 05 - Hautes-Alpes
First stage of Circuit Franco-Italian border "Queyras in Val Pellice" punctuated by passages through three interesting passes: Malaure, Bouchet and Vampréveyre.
Starting point in Prali - Province de Torino
2nd stage is entirely in Italy allowing you to walk alongside the many military buildings that protect the nearby border. The long descent before the shelter lets you enjoy the Italian pastures that appear much greener than the French. This is due to the more abundant moisture from this side of the border.
Starting point in Bobbio Pellice - Province de Torino
3rd and last stage of this Franco-Italian circuit. It meets with a variation of the Queyras circuit above the Jervis Refuge to reach Valpréveyre by the Col d’Urine.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.