This walk is part of the trek Trek around Chambeyron Mountain Range.
Last stage of this trek around Chambeyron mountain range, taking you back to France through Col de Sautron. You'll find yourself in superb wildlife setting when arriving at the pass.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Start from refuge Campo Base. The route follows "Tour du Chambeyron" GRP.
(S) Leave the shelter heading north, and after a few douzen metres, Take a sharp turn right and follow the trail due south-east. You'll reach another trail, head right towards Chiappera Village. Go past the village located on the left-hand side.
(1) After passing the cemetery, at a turn in the road, head right onto a path heading into a wood. Go right and continue due south reaching a large path.
(2) Take the path on the right. Keep going, on the windy path in an overall western direction.
(3) At high point 2055, you'll reach a ledge. Ignore the trailhead to the left and keep heading west. After more twists and turns you'll reach another ledge. Go past the relics of an old military base. Keep heading due west and after the last few bends you'll reach Col de Sautron.
(4) Head south-west down a steep slope. At a fork, go left and bypass a rock slide zone (head south then south-west). Go past the remains of a shelter and head downhill due south. Turn off to the right and head down a windy slope reaching a stream (Riou de Rouchouse on the map).
(5) Don't cross the stream, walk along the right bank to the west.
(6) At the bottom of a rock slide zone, head off to the left due south-west (the stream heads off to the south).
(7) At the junction with the GR5, head south. Then turn left (east), head down some steep bends and head off to the right reaching Riou de Rouchouse.
(8) Take the path along the torrent, due south-west and reach Larche. When you arrive at the main road (D900), the stage gîte is on the other side on the left.
D : km 0 - alt. 1632m
1 : km 1.53 - alt. 1602m - Junction after the cemetery
2 : km 2.38 - alt. 1663m - Large path
3 : km 4.9 - alt. 2040m - High point 2055
4 : km 8.09 - alt. 2681m - Col de Sautron
5 : km 10.76 - alt. 2114m - Riou de Rouchouse
6 : km 11.58 - alt. 2011m - Junction at the bottom of a rock slide zone
7 : km 12.11 - alt. 1938m - Junction with the GR5
8 : km 12.81 - alt. 1749m - Trail leading to Larche
A : km 13.65 - alt. 1678m - Gite GTA Lombard
In Chiappera: refuge Campo Base, catering. Phone 0039 - (0)1 71 99 068.
- Stage gîte, catering. Phone: 04 92 84 30 80.
- Coach Service to Barcelonnette.
No drinking water sources during the trek apart from at the shelters so bring water supplies with you.
1/25000 scale map is a must. A compass wouldn't hurt...
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3538ETR.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The climb to Col de Sautron: beautiful setting, wildlife landscape, relics of an old military base.
A climb to the highest point of this hike around the Chambeyron mountain range, at over 3000 metres in altitude. A summit offering an unobstructed view over Queyras and the neighbouring mountain ranges. A downhill route allowing a well-deserved rest by a lake.
The most demanding stage of the hike during which you'll go through at least 4 passes at over 2700 metres in altitude. Beautiful scenery all along the way! The "Lacs Marinet" offer the opportunity for refreshments before the final descent.
Reaching over 3000 metres in altitude, Aiguilles de Chambeyron and Brec de Chambeyron form an impressive mountain range halfway between Queyras and the Moncantour. This hike offers a trek with no techincal difficulty, with passes over 2700 m in altitude and a summit of over 3000 m. Set in an outstanding landscape and for the most part within a high mountain setting.
First stage around the Chambeyron Mountain Range which, after a steady climb, takes you to the shelter with the same name. You'll end up in a breath-taking setting, at the foot of Brec de Chambeyron.
A loop around Brec de Chambeyron, leaving from the hamlet of Fouillouse.
Quite a long stage but a steady route. A climb up to Col de Mary then a long downhill hike all the way to the shelter, in Chiaperra, Italy.
Circular hike from the beautiful village of Sambuco in the Valle Stura, Provence of Cuneo. The high point is Monte Bersaio directly above the village. The majority of the walk is through high alpine meadows. If done in late June or early July there will be a profusion of wildflowers and the final meadows, just below the summit of Monte Bersaio, are full of Edelweiss.
This stage involves a pass with neves and crossing Refuge du Viso high berm then Guil valley.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.