Little Bedwyn & the Ramsbury Estate
Along the towpath to Little Bedwyn, returning via farmland and parkland with distant views.
A Froxfield walk
posted on 23/12/21 by Walks from the Door. Last update : 23/12/21
(S/E) From the front door of the Pelican Inn, turn right along the pavement beside the A4.
Turn right at the road junction, signposted to Little Bedwyn.
(1) Cross the railway and canal bridges, and turn right onto the towpath. Follow the canal past Froxfield Bottom and Middle locks until you meet a road at Oakhill Down Lock.
Continue along the canal to Fore Bridge.
(2) Leave the towpath here and cross the bridge; follow the driveway beyond, passing between two houses to the railway. Cross quickly but carefully. Beyond the metal gate on the other side, turn left and walk parallel to the railway for 400 yards, with the spire of Little Bedwyn church ahead. Just before the church, drop down into woodland.
(3) At the end of the wood, turn right through a gate into the churchyard. Walk round the church and out into Church Street. At the end of the road, turn right and walk up School lane out of the village.
Beyond the old school, go straight on at a road junction.
When the lane bends left, follow a bridleway straight on (if the opening section is overgrown, bypass it along the field edge to the right).
At the top of the hill continue along the field edge. Descend, passing through a hedge, to cross a shallow dry valley.
(4) Walk through open fields to a tarmac lane. Turn right and walk down to the A4 at Harrow Farm. Cross the main road into the lane beyond, then turn right in front of a semi-detached house. Follow the narrow hedged path beyond, turning 90 degrees left after 1⁄2 mile and heading uphill. Eventually, the path levels off then descends to a lane.
(5) Turn left and walk past Rudge Farm. Beyond the farmhouse, turn right onto a public footpath that curves right then left up to a wood.
(6) Turn left then swing right along a ride that follows power lines through the wood.
At a metalled driveway, turn left then immediately right onto a concrete track.
At the next junction, turn right and follow the track through the wood and down a grassy valley; another track joins obliquely from the right, go straight ahead.
(7) At a crossroad of tracks, turn right, heading uphill. Beyond a belt of trees the track continues alongside a wood on your left. Keep straight ahead along the woodland edge when the main track swings left into the wood.
(8) On reaching a metalled lane, turn right and walk downhill for half a mile to Frox- field.
(9) Turn left along the A4 past the Somerset Hospital to return to the Pelican Inn. (S/E)
- S/E : km 0 - alt. 110 m - Pelican Inn
- 1 : km 0.28 - alt. 108 m - Railway and canal bridges
- 2 : km 1.96 - alt. 114 m - Railway
- 3 : km 2.65 - alt. 116 m - Little Bedwyn church
- 4 : km 4.85 - alt. 140 m - Tarmac lane - Harrow Farm
- 5 : km 7 - alt. 144 m - Rudge Farm
- 6 : km 8.07 - alt. 172 m - Wood
- 7 : km 8.98 - alt. 140 m - Uphill - Wood
- 8 : km 10.74 - alt. 130 m - Metalled lane
- 9 : km 11.37 - alt. 111 m - Frox- field - Somerset Hospital
- S/E : km 11.83 - alt. 109 m - Pelican Inn
Some moderate climbs; may be muddy or overgrown in places. Caution: crosses a busy railway line at a level crossing.
Pdf Document : http://walksfromthedoor.co.uk/i/walks/Wi...
The Pelican Inn
Bath Rd, Froxfield, Marlborough, Wiltshire SN8 3JY
tel 01488 682479
The 17th-century Pelican Inn is a well-known landmark in the village of Froxfield, on the A4 between Marlborough and Hunger- ford. It is just 8 miles from junction 14 of the M4.
Following refurbishment, The Pelican is now a contemporary pub with rooms, with a growing reputation since Kirsty took over in November 2012.
This freehouse has a large locals/walkers bar and three cosy restaurant areas, whilst upstairs there are eight comfortable en- suite bedrooms. Outside there is a large garden with stream, duck pond and two car parks. It is in a perfect spot for those enjoying the local countryside, being a 5-minute stroll from the Kennet & Avon Canal (bridge 90 and lock 70). Walkers, fishermen, cyclists, boaters, children and friendly dogs are all welcome.
Always stay careful and alert while following a route. Visorando and the author of this walk cannot be held responsible in the event of an accident during this route.
During the walk or to do/see around
The Somerset Hospital was bequeathed by Sarah, Duchess of Somerset, in 1695. The east (right) wing is original; the west (left) wing was built in 1775. The central gatehouse and courtyard chapel were added in 1813.
The Kennet and Avon Canal was begun in 1718. It fell into disuse but was fully reopened after decades of restoration work in 1990.
Little Bedwyn church has a 12th century arcade with crisp Norman carvings including a comical snaggle-toothed fac leering from a capital.
Reviews and comments
Clarity of route description
5 / 5
Clarity of route map
4 / 5
3 / 5
le Mon 07 Feb 2022 14:16:17 EST
Date of walk: 11/01/22
Clarity of route description: ★★★★★ Very good
Clarity of route map: ★★★★☆ Good
Walk interest: ★★★☆☆ Average
Nice walk with mixture of fields and paths. Good directions that were clear and easy to follow.