Breitnau gorges and Hinterzarten village
This circular walk starts from Breitnau where you can enjoy local products (glass art shop, cuckoo clocks, etc.) and heritage. Then, enjoy the walk along the gorges where you will find watermills via Hinterzarten village.
Technical sheet No. 21692364
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 6.29 km
Vertical gain : 196 m
Vertical drop : 194 m
Highest point : 893 m
Lowest point : 715 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Area : Forêt Noire
Location : Breitnau
Starting point : N 47.913634° / E 8.07679°
(D/A) Start your walk from Breitnau car park located along the Rotbach river. From the car park, walk North-East on the riverside. Pass under a bridge and cross over a footbridge to reach the village road. Enjoy the building in front of you which is a giant cuckoo clocks then turn right (North-East) past the glass shop. Turn left of the Hofgut Sternen restaurant / hotel to go under the railway bridge.
(1) Turn right up (North-East) at the corner of the hotel and walk under the railway viaduct (Ravenna Bridge). Now take the footpath along the riverside going into the gorge. Follow the riverside crossing over several wooden footbridges. On the way enjoy the cascades.
When you reach a junction, keep left along the riverside. At the next junction keep straight still along the riverside. Eventually, you reach some houses out of the woods and the road. Follow the road as it curves left. At the junction, you will have an information board on the left, turn right along the road.
(2) At the next junction, keep straight (South-East) (on your right is private access). You will see open fields carry straight on along that road to reach the junction with Oberhollsteig road. Take a few steps on your left then seek for a footpath on your right (South-East) that will give you access to a safe tunnel under B31.
On the other side of the tunnel, you are in front of a sports ground. Turn left (East) and go round the sports hall on the road.
(3) After the houses, find a path on your left going (South-East). Walk up this footpath and find a youth centre on your left where it is private access. Keep right (South-East) going in between buildings. Follow this path as it now is parallel with the railway line on your right-hand side. Carry on along this same path until you reach Löffeltalweg road where you turn right (South) under the railway line.
On the other side, turn straight away right (North-West) on Löffeltalweg road with the railway line parallel still on your right-hand side. Follow the road as it goes down between houses. At some stage, you will pass a wooden fountain on your right and a wooden building with tree mushrooms.
(4) Carry straight on along the road past a watermill and now the river again on your right-hand side. Carry on on this path ignoring bridges across the river. At some point, you are going to leave the riverside and get the B31 busy road on your right. Keep parallel to that road and when you see a footpath going right (North-East) under the B31, take that safe tunnel.
Take the footpath left along the riverside again on your right and car parks on your left. Follow the riverside back to your car at Breitnau car park. (D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 736 m - Breitnau
1 : km 0.47 - alt. 717 m - Railway viaduct
2 : km 2.27 - alt. 884 m - Information board
3 : km 3.16 - alt. 872 m - Sports ground
4 : km 4.69 - alt. 849 m - Wooden fountain - Watermill
D/A : km 6.28 - alt. 736 m - Breitnau
Some steps, wooden bridges. Shady almost all along.
Car park : Free at 79874 Breitnau
Refreshments: Restaurants and toilets along the way to try out a black forest cake.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
- German cuckoo clocks - Hofgut Sternen
- Ravenna Bridge "Viadukt Ravennaschlucht"
- Löffeltal bridge
- Klopfsäge watermill
Other walks in the area
Wiedener Eck, Belchenseilbahn loop, Baden-Wurttemberg region
Starting point in Wieden (Lörrach (Landkreis))
This is a great circular walk ground through the famous black forest where you will find great views of the German and French valleys.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.