Start: The Butt Inn, Aldermaston Wharf (RG7 4LA) Grid ref. SU 601 670
(S/E) Turn left out of the pub and follow the road to cross the swing bridge and join the canal towpath.
(1) Keep on this for just over 1/2 mile to reach another road and swing bridge.
(2) Turn right on the road (Padworth Lane). Go ahead for 1/4 mile to cross the River Kennet, then a further 1/4 mile to footpaths either side of the road.
(3) Take the one on the right that shortly turns 90 degrees left and fork right in a further 200yds and rise through fields and a wooded area to Padworth College, where you come to an ornamental lake.
(4) Follow past this, leaving the church on your right and take the footpath down through fields going ahead towards Padworth Mill.
(5) Here you re-cross the Kennet by a series of footbridges, even passing a salmon ladder. The footpath continues through a rather narrow section before emerging onto a wide track which is Mill Lane. In some 600 yds this comes out on the road near the Aldermaston Wharf swing bridge, so turn left to get back to the pub. Or turn left in 300 yds into the newish housing estate, the road out of which is much nearer the pub.(S/E)