Start: The Blade Bone, Chapel Row (RG7 6PD) Grid ref. SU 571697
(S/E) Turn right (East) out of the pub towards Bradfield, and right (South) down a track in about 250 yds. Follow this downhill until it bears right, and take the footpath to the left past a stream to a gate.
(1) Bear half right across the field to the opposite corner just to the right of farm buildings and turn left in the drive. In 100 yds cross the stile on the right and follow the field path slightly left up the centre of the field. As this rises gently, you can see Douai Abbey on the left.
(2) Emerging on a tarmac lane, go right for about 250yds, and turn left down a track just before a road junction. About 100 yds after the heavy metal gate go half right along a footpath between hedges.
(3) Follow straight on through the wood to a gate into a field, and keep near the right hand hedge until you come out on another tarmac road.
(4) Turn right for some 400 yds to the triangular road junction, where turn left for 100 yds to the footpath on the right. Go forward on this for half a mile crossing two streams by plank bridges (with rather soggy approaches) and go uphill keeping the modernistic "King Charles' Cottage" to your right.
(5) Then take the footpath immediately right (not marked on the fingerpost) about 600 yds on the level, later passing the fronts of properties, kinking left along a drive for a bit before going right again then meeting the road.
(6) Keep right on the road and it's another 500 yds to the pub.(S/E)