Starting from Orrell Waterpark then follows lower slopes of Billinge Hill before ascending to Winstanley College and back to the waterpark. Good views over Mersey, Winter Hill and Cheshire hills.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Leave Orrell Waterpark car park turning briefly South (left) onto Lodge Lane then West (right) along Sandy Lane. Turn south (left) down Gantley Road. Turn West (right) down Upholland Road.
(1) Take footpath West (left) beside the house and initially behind houses then over farmland. Good views behind you over Winter Hill.
(2) Take footpath South (left) on track initially beside Higher Pimbo Farm and then beside quarry. Follow footpath South (right) along the field boundary.
(3) Take track South via Promised Land Farm onto tarmac track.
(4) Turn West (right) briefly along Crank Road before taking footpath South (left). Upon reaching farm buildings cross farmyard onto Red Barn Road.
(5) Leave Red Barn Lane taking footpath East (left) upslope. Good excuse to rest and check the view behind you over Liverpool and Wales. Turn south (right) along the tarmac track, with good views over to Cheshire hills.
(6) Leave road taking footpath South East (left) beside Crookhouse Farm down the hillside. Turn briefly East (left) along Roby Well Lane. Leave Roby Well Lane taking footpath North (left) running alongside the stream. Take footbridge East (right) over the stream and follow the path upslope. Turn North (left) in front of Ash Grove Farm and follow the footpath.
(7) Turn West (left) briefly along Beacon Road. Carefully cross Beacon Road and turn North (right) into Oakley Avenue and follow footpath North originating beside garages. Turn North (left) along Upholland Road. Carefully cross Upholland Road to take footpath East initially beside the house and then behind properties. Turn North (left) at the field corner to follow the footpath parallel to Chair Wood.
(8) Carefully cross park road to continue North on the footpath. Turn West (left) along the path between fields. Take footpath initially North (right) and then follow it North East.
(9) Follow path North (left) over Winstanley College playing field then North West away from college besides the stream. Take path North (right) beside stream then beside Orrell Waterpark lakes. Take path South around the lake back to the car park.(D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 95m - Orrel Waterpark
1 : km 0.73 - alt. 101m - Oxhouuse Turn
2 : km 1.96 - alt. 117m - Higher Pimbo
3 : km 3.66 - alt. 107m - Promised Land Farm
4 : km 4.52 - alt. 79m - Crank Road
5 : km 5.8 - alt. 83m - Houghwood
6 : km 6.71 - alt. 102m - Crookhouse Farm
7 : km 7.88 - alt. 123m - Beacon Rd
8 : km 9.79 - alt. 121m - Park Road
9 : km 10.88 - alt. 109m - Winstanley College
D/A : km 11.99 - alt. 95m - Waterpark Car Park
Parking at start.
Refreshments in Orrell.
More detailed route info
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Views over Mersey Estuary, North Wales, Cheshire hills and Winter Hill.
7 mile circular walk starting from Potters Wood Gathurst, joining Leeds Liverpool Canal before ascending to Bank Top then via Dean Brook back to start.
A circular walk starting from Beacon Park then via Dean Brook to Roby Mill onto Ashurst Beacon and back to Beacon Park. Good views over Winter Hill and Mersey Estuary on the route.
A circular walk starting from the base of Billinge Hill and ascending it to enjoy views from the highest point in Merseyside. The descent passes through woodland on route to Orrell Waterpark. The return route follows the west flank of Billinge Hill with more great views over Welsh and Cheshire hills back to start.
Circular walkleaving Billinge by Garswood Rd, crossing Barton Clough on route to Chair Wood and then via Longshaw to top of Billinge Hill before descending back to Billinge. Excellent views over Merseyside, Pennines, Welsh and Cheshire hills from the highest point in Merseyside.
6m mile circular route starting from Shevington crossing Mill Brook into Elnup Wood, From here the route makes its way via Standish Park to cross Mill Brook and M6 motorway onto Shevington Vale. Having made its way around the vale the route heads back to start over Gathurst Golf course.
Circular Walk starting from sports ground in Crook then North onto Birley Pond, Birley & Elnup Woods exiting over Mill Brook to gently ascend to Birch Walk. The route then follows the boundary of Standish Park before heading back to start via Giants Hall Farm and Standish Wood Lane. Good views of Beacon Park and Winter Hill ridges from high points.
Circular walk starting from Wigan Flashes and including Bryn Gates Lane, Viridor Wood and canal towpath.
The walk starts at Westwood Road Wigan in order to join the canal and head south. On leaving the canal the route passes through Wigan Flashes and Turners Flash before heading back to start.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.