A circular walk starting from the base of Billinge Hill and ascending it to enjoy views from the highest point in Merseyside. The descent passes through woodland on route to Orrell Waterpark. The return route follows the west flank of Billinge Hill with more great views over Welsh and Cheshire hills back to start.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) At the end of Roby Well Lane turn briefly West (right) on Rainford Road. Turn North (right) of Rainford Road and begin the gentle climb up Billinge Hill.
(1) Immediately after U bend in tarmac road turn North (left) on the path following the metal fence to Billinge Tower.
(2) Having admired the all round view from the highest point in Merseyside make way North downslope towards
and through Coppice Wood.
(3) Leave Coppice Wood by a metal gate and take a path northeast by the front of houses. Carefully cross Upholland Road and take steps East down onto Longshaw Old Road. Take footpath North (left) off Longshaw Old Road towards the wood.
(4) Immediately before the footbridge turn North (left) taking a path beside a stream through Longshaw Wood and then along the East side of Orrell Waterpark Lakes. At the North end of the waterpark follow the path South towards the car park. Exit car park turning briefly South (left) along Lodge Lane then West (right) along Sandy Lane. Turn south (left) along Gantley Road At the forked junction carefully turn North (right) along Upholland Road.
(5) Take the footpath southwest (left) beside the house and follow it beside field boundaries.
(6) Follow footpath South West beside the wood. Follow footpath South (left) beside a fishing lake.
(7) Join Smethust track and follow it South over farmland. Take time to enjoy views over Welsh Mountains and Mersey Estuary as you gently climb. Briefly take Crank Road southwest (right). Leave Crank Road by turning South (left) onto the path beside the golf course.
(8) Follow the path beside the golf course onto the tarmac road and take it South downhill.
(9) Take footpath initially southeast (left) beside horse paddock downslope and then follow it South along the stream bank. Turn southwest (right) along Roby Well Way back to start.(D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 86m - Roby Well Lane
1 : km 1.15 - alt. 149m - Exit Tarmac
2 : km 1.39 - alt. 167m - Billinge Tower
3 : km 1.98 - alt. 144m - Exit Coppice
4 : km 2.87 - alt. 107m - Longshaw Wood
5 : km 5.03 - alt. 101m - Higher End
6 : km 5.71 - alt. 120m - Moorfield
7 : km 6.17 - alt. 130m - Smethurst
8 : km 7.8 - alt. 155m - Below Tower
9 : km 8.33 - alt. 122m - Horse Paddock
D/A : km 9.04 - alt. 88m - Roby Well Lane
Parking at start WN5 7PP
Refreshments available Billinge and Orrell.
More detailed route info
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Extensive views over Merseyside, Wales and Cheshire.
Circular walkleaving Billinge by Garswood Rd, crossing Barton Clough on route to Chair Wood and then via Longshaw to top of Billinge Hill before descending back to Billinge. Excellent views over Merseyside, Pennines, Welsh and Cheshire hills from the highest point in Merseyside.
A circular route crossing Carr Mill via causeway onto a rising farmland section leading to Newton Rd. Extensive views over Mersey Plain, Manchester and Cheshire Heights from this midway point. Return route is via open farmland leading to woodland section back to lakeside.
A circular walk around Carr Mill Dam, Sankey Valley Canal and Burgy Park.
Starting from Orrell Waterpark then follows lower slopes of Billinge Hill before ascending to Winstanley College and back to the waterpark. Good views over Mersey, Winter Hill and Cheshire hills.
Route initially along Rainford Linear Park before heading over open countryside back to start.
Circular walk starting from Wigan Flashes and including Bryn Gates Lane, Viridor Wood and canal towpath.
A circular walk starting from Beacon Park then via Dean Brook to Roby Mill onto Ashurst Beacon and back to Beacon Park. Good views over Winter Hill and Mersey Estuary on the route.
Starting from Sidling Lane Nature Reserve travelling along the edge of the reserve before crossing the railway line to continue over open farmland and country lanes to re-enter via the woodland section of the reserve.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.