The walk starts at Westwood Road Wigan in order to join the canal and head south. On leaving the canal the route passes through Wigan Flashes and Turners Flash before heading back to start.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Parking in Westwood Road.
(D/A) Join canal at the south-east end of the road. Head south on the towpath. Continue south along the towpath.
(1) Leave towpath heading south-west into woodland. Good picnic spot on the north side of path overlooking Ochre Flash.
(2) Take the path west into the wood. Cross the footbridge and continue north. Follow the path behind school grounds. Head north along the path. Continue north to Scotsman Flash.
(3) Follow the path south-east away from the lake. Head east passing (1) and over the small footbridge then over canal bridge onto the east towpath. Head briefly north before taking path east. Take the path south-east to Turners Flash.
(4) Take path northeast back to the hard path. Join the hard path northeast.
(5) At Stonescape compound, follow the path on its south then west boundary to end of cemetery and sewage works. Take path west, may need peg on the nose. When meeting main road cross onto the footpath and continue west to the canal.
(6) Follow towpath on the east side of canal north. Cross canal onto the west bank, continue north. Back at the start point.(D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 32m - Westwood Road
1 : km 1.83 - alt. 27m - Canal Bridge
2 : km 2.44 - alt. 31m - Wood
3 : km 4.28 - alt. 26m - Scotman Flash
4 : km 5.14 - alt. 27m - Turners Flash
5 : km 6.4 - alt. 35m - Sewage Works
6 : km 7.11 - alt. 30m - Canal
D/A : km 8.1 - alt. 32m - Westwood Road
Parking at start.
More detaiils : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/wigan...
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Circular walk starting from Wigan Flashes and including Bryn Gates Lane, Viridor Wood and canal towpath.
The walk starts from Mill Lane in Hindley and follows the clockwise circular route via Borsdane Wood and Westhoughton Common.
Walk starts from Viridor Wood car park and follows anti clockwise circularroute via Viridor Wood and Three Sisters Park.
The walk starts at Abram by Kingdown Flash (01Start) and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Bickershaw Park and Fan Lodge ponds.
The walk starts opposite Cowburn St Hindley and follows anti-clockwise circular route around Westhoughton Common.
The walk starts from Bickershaw and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Amberswood, Low Hall and Victoria Fields.
The walk starts from Pennington Flash car park and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Golborne Park and Lowton.
The walk starts from the car park on Slag Lane and follows a clockwise circular route around Pennington Flash.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.