Start : Car park nearby D149 - D978 roundabout.
(S/E) From the car park, walk South-West on the road towards the lake "Lac Pavin".
(1) Join the platform that takes in the entire lake and follow the lovely shady path going right (South-West) along the edge of the lake. At the next Y-junction, leave the circuit around the lake and take the right-hand trail that then begins to climb.
(2) After about 800m you'll get to another junction. Take the wide path to the right (South-West). Further on, ignore a path going off to the right. A little further on (a sign with a map), turn left along the small discovery trail, which is very steep and stony.
At the top of the path, a sign saying "Lac Pavin", invites you to go left. Before doing so, continue to climb to the right "ad libitum", to admire the view.
(3) Return to the sign and continue opposite (in the direction of Lake Pavin) on your right.
(4) At the next junction, turn right (South-West) on the path that descends to the bottom of the Puy de Montchal crater, and climb back up the other side. The trail descends to the left and reaches a junction with various possible directions.
(5) Turn right again on a wide path. At the next intersection, turn left (South). The path leads to a very wide and flat forest path that you need to take to the left. When you get to the tarmac road, turn right (South) on it.
Later on (with a sign on the left), you can go a few extra meters to get a glimpse of the Creux de Soucy chasm, well protected by high fences. Near the sign, there is a beautiful place for a picnic. Resume the road going South.
(6) After 200 meters, take a small path to the left, simply indicated by a yellow arrow. Continue through the forest (an obvious route) to reach a wide path where a GR® passes. Take this path left ("white and red" markers). The view emerges on the right.
(7) Cross the road, you've already taken, toward the Creux de Soucy and get to another road that you then take opposite still walking North. After passing the cross-country skiing centre, you arrive near an information board about volcanism and a stunning view of the lake. You'll find a trail not marked on the IGN map behind the board.
(8) Take this path left rather than the road. The trail descends and joins the "official" trail on the map. Continue down to the left to join the path that goes around the lake. Turn right. Various openings in the forest allow you to see the lake that you still overlook.
The trail loses altitude little by little and takes you back to the starting point, after going between the restaurant and the lake.(1) Then go around the restaurant to take a right on the road leading to the car park. (S/E)