Beautiful hike in the Esterel Massif where you can discover Sainte Baume and its chapel and the beautiful viewpoint on Cap Roux peak, and then reach Ours Peak going via Aurelle Peak.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Leave from the car park at the Belle Barbe Pass (D/A) where you can park without any problems. Take the path to the east where you will see a gate. Continue on until you reach the ford.
(1) Take the path on the right. Go along the Lentisques Ravine and then, after the oak tree on the side of the path, cross over the small rivulet to take the small path which is barely visible in the undergrowth.
(2) Follow the path up to the tarmacked road.
(3) Follow the road for 200 metres and begin the climb to Sainte-Baume.
(4) From Sainte-Baume, go back down the steps and at the first intersection on the path (5), turn right in the direction of the Cap Roux Peak on the path on the right.
(6) From Cap Roux Peak, go back down the steps and turn right at the crossroads (5). Continue on until you reach the crossroads of tarmacked roads at the Évêque Pass.
(7) Continue on the tarmacked road which climbs towards Ours Peak and follow it for about 350 metres, then take the small path on the right which go alongside this road, overlooking it.
Re-join the tarmacked road, turn right, take a few steps and then take the path on the right (8) in the direction of Aurelle Peak.
(9) From this peak, return down the steps and then branch off to the right at the first crossroads of paths (8) to reach the crossroads with the tarmacked road again. Take the small part of the tarmacked road which continues as a path for a few hundred metres and then take the path on the right climbing up. At the cistern, head to the left and follow the path up to the tarmacked road. Cross over it and continue climbing up on the path which meets another road. Cross the road and follow the path which then reaches Ours Peak.
(10) From the peak, take the path which goes around the bottom of it and follow it to go back downhill. At the next crossroads of paths, turn left.
Continue going downhill until you reach a wide path to the Ravin du Mal Infernet. Be careful, when going downhill, that you don't take the first path on the right. Keep well to the left and then, before the Uzel Cave, take the right.
(11) On arriving at the ford, take the left and go along the river up to a small bridge.
(12) Cross over the bridge and climb up on this path. Follow this path to the right up to the Aubert Pass and then continue to the left. After about 400 m take the path on the right which climbs up, where you will return to the car park (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 46m - Col de Belle Barbe
1 : km 1.16 - alt. 37m - Ford
2 : km 3.3 - alt. 93m - Lentisques Ravine
3 : km 4.06 - alt. 157m - Crossroads tarmacked road
4 : km 4.77 - alt. 260m - Sainte Baume
5 : km 5.78 - alt. 289m - Crossroads
6 : km 6.61 - alt. 427m - Cap Roux Peak - Pic du Cap Roux (453m)
7 : km 8.17 - alt. 164m - Evêque Pass - Col de l'Evêque (159m)
8 : km 9.73 - alt. 260m - Crossroads
9 : km 10.04 - alt. 283m - Aurelle Peak - Pic d'Aurelle (323m)
10 : km 10.78 - alt. 263m - Col des Lentisques
11 : km 12.31 - alt. 456m - Ours Peak - Pic de L'Ours
12 : km 13.39 - alt. 380m - Dent de l'Ours
13 : km 16.74 - alt. 68m - Ford
14 : km 17.73 - alt. 64m - Small bridge
15 : km 18.32 - alt. 110m - Col Aubert (100m)
D/A : km 19.57 - alt. 46m
Water point at the bottom of Sainte-Baume. Some paths are very stony. Good shoes are required.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
At the Cap Roux Peak orientation table, it's possible to see all the way to Corsica if the weather is clear.
Lovely picnic spot on Aurelle Peak where there is a large flat rock with a beautiful view.
Global average : 4.33/5
Number of opinions : 1
Description quality : 4/5
Routemap quality : 4/5
Walk interest : 5/5
thank for your comment.
The IGN use UTM WSG84 coordinates on their maps.
You can specify to use these coordinates on Visorando in your profile : 'My page', then 'Modify my information', then 'Geographical coordinates format ' and submit.
Sur les sentiers des Vosges...
Global average : 4.33 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Good
Routemap quality : Good
Walk interest : Very good
First time using your website - very useful and great for help with identifying walks. But, I am confused by your grid references.
For example the start of the walk Peaks of Cap Roux at Belle Barbe Pass car park is noted as being N 43.456562 / E 6.868843. But these coordinates are way off the scale of the IGN 3544 ET map of the area.
what am i missing?
Very beautiful hike close to Agay which enables you to discover the Estérel away from the usual routes.
Above Agay close to the beaches, the fabulous Massif de l'Esterel is the ideal terrain for a comfortable hike, but is always different.
This circuit lets you discover magnificent panoramic views over the Mediterranean (the Gulf of Saint- Tropez up to the Dramont semaphore) and Mediterranean forests, as well as the remains of the Malavettes forester's house, now abandoned.
This is a magnificent hike through the red rocks of Estérel, looking over the blue of the Mediterranean with extraordinary viewing points.
A very nice short walk that with beautiful views of the bay of Agay and the Esterel massif.
Easy circular hike leaving from Rague port.
The hike starts by climbing up towards Mont Thurney at the entrance to the Estérel, then going downhill through a dry valley then a forest (eucalyptus and then pine trees) before reaching San Peyre and its 360° orientation table (panoramic view over the Îles de Lérins, Cannes bay and the Mercantour).
Go down through Napoule and then take the coastal path alongside the château until you reach Raguette and Rague beaches.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.