Start : The Craven Arms, Enborne (RG20 0HG) Grid ref. SU427648
(S/E) From The Craven Arms, go out of the side (pedestrian) gate. Turn right in the lane towards Wash Common for about 400 yds to a footpath on the left.
(1) Follow this through wooden gates, across a drive.
(2) Then at the junction, bear left to a stile into a paddock. Exit this by a second stile (it's easier to get between the fence palings) and go forward through a wooded area. A couple of close-together stiles lead into a field and rising through somewhat boggy ground to a stile out onto a road.
(3) Turn left then immediately right onto another the footpath that leads you to an isolated white five bar gate. Go forward on the track to a small war memorial.
(4) Turn right on the drive out of Hamstead Park reaching the road again. Turn left and follow the road North-East towards Newbury for 350 yds, then turn sharp right into a metalled lane.
(5) Some 250 yds down this, take the footpath to the left-hand side of a front garden and follow it East-South-East down fields to a stile, a bridge over a small stream and through a wooded area.
(6) Back in the open country, bear right to follow the path South-West through fields, along the side of a wood, over a footbridge, and between wire fences to emerge on the lane once more.
(7) Turn left past Avery's Pightle for 250yds, then fork right into a tarmac lane, and go through a gap onto the parallel grassy footpath. Follow this over a stile until you reach the paddock you crossed earlier.
(2) From there, retrace your steps to The Craven Arms.(S/E)