This walk is part of the trek Station to Station walks.
A point to point walk from Shepreth Station to Meldreth Station passing through the village of Melbourn.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D) Leave Shepreth Station through the car park and head down Station Road.
(1) When you reach the Village Hall, turn right on Meldreth Road, then immediately left on High Street.
(2) Follow the road round, and after the turn to the church on the right take the footpath on the left (South-East).
(3) Follow the footpath with the stream on your left-hand side all the way to the A10, where you turn right down the cycle path.
(4) Past Dunsbridge Business Park, cross the A10 at the traffic island and walk down Dunsbridge Turnpike. When you reach the Green Man pub, turn left onto the footpath with the river on your left-hand side. Follow the footpath along by the river until you meet the road at Fowlmere.
(5) Turn right and walk along the road until the road goes round to the right - look for the stile in the hedge on the left and cross onto the Kingsway Golf Course. Follow the line of the hedge along the right edge of the golf course until you reach the road, then cross into the field opposite and walk across to the far corner (South-West) until you reach another road (Cambridge Road).
(6) Turn left and join the Melbourn cycle path. Follow the road all the way through the village of Melbourn, past the Hub, a community cafe, and turn right by the church, along Station road.
(7) Look for the footpath on the right just after a bridge, and follow it under an underpass A10) and straight ahead (North - North-West) across the field to Meldreth station.
If you are going back to Shepreth or Cambridge, you will need to cross the tracks on the footbridge to Platform 2. (A)
D : km 0 - alt. 20m - Shepreth Railway Station
1 : km 0.23 - alt. 22m - Fowlmere Road
2 : km 0.8 - alt. 23m - Footpath opposite Church
3 : km 1.36 - alt. 22m - A10
4 : km 1.88 - alt. 22m - Dunsbridge Turnpike
5 : km 2.81 - alt. 23m - Fowlmere Corner
6 : km 3.91 - alt. 25m - Melbourn Cycle Path
7 : km 5.83 - alt. 25m - Station Road Footpath
A : km 6.21 - alt. 24m - Meldreth Railway Station
Transportation : Shepreth Station is unmanned and Meldreth Station is only manned in the morning.
Facilities : Refreshments and toilets can be found at the Green Man in Shepreth, the Jamaica Blue cafe at the golf course, and at the Hub in Melbourn.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
See all the sights of Shepreth : Docwras Manor Garden, the Crossing House Garden, Shepreth L-Moor (SSSI), Shepreth Church, The Plough, The Teacake and Shepreth Wildlife Park.
From Foxton Railway Station you can take in the sights of Foxton - the Dovecot, Foxton Wood, St Laurence Church and the White Horse Pub.
A point to point walk from Foxton Station to Shepreth Station with a nice woody interlude through the Wimbish Estate.
For those 3 easy walks, you will visit the 3 stations composing the Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton Community Rail Partnership.
A point to point walk, which includes Melbourn Village and a stretch across the countryside before heading into Royston Town.
From Meldreth Station, this circular walk takes you past two churches, through the Melwood Nature Reserve and past the British Queen Pub.
Walk along the river Mel, river Rhee (Cam) and river Shep. Passing the Royal Oak Barrington, the Plough Shepreth and the Green Man Dunsbridge Turnpike.
A circular walk from Histon to Girton and beyond. Through woods, across fields and on a variety of tracks and roads.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.