Meldreth Station to Royston Station
A point to point walk, which includes Melbourn Village and a stretch across the countryside before heading into Royston Town.
A Meldreth walk
posted on 27/02/22 by MSFCRP. Last update : 22/06/22
N 52.090891° / E 0.00951°
N 52.053386° / W 0.026418°
(S) Leave Meldreth Station via the steps which lead (South - South-East) to the footpath towards Melbourn. Follow the footpath all the way along to join Station Road, heading for Melbourn.
(1) After the bridge, at Dolphin Lane, turn right, and follow the road all the way to the High Street passing A10.
(2) When you reach High Street, opposite The Dolphin pub, turn right and follow the road all the way through Melbourn until you reach the A10.
(3) Cross the A10 carefully, and follow the track opposite in a (South - South-West direction), and under a railway tunnel. Carry on in the same direction all the way until it joins Old North Road (A1198).
(4) At Old North Road turn left. This is a busy road, but has a footway all the way along. When you get closer to Royston the footway crosses the road so you will now be on the right-hand side of the road up to the roundabout.
(5) Cross straight ahead the A505 roundabout carefully, and walk up Old North Road, past Tesco and beyond to Royston Railway Station. (E)
If you are returning to Shepreth or Cambridge, take the first entrance to Royston Station on the right. If you are returning to stations towards London, cross over the bridge and take the second entrance to Royston station on the right.
- S : km 0 - alt. 24 m - Meldreth Railway Station
- 1 : km 0.74 - alt. 26 m - Dolphin Lane
- 2 : km 1.2 - alt. 29 m - Dolphin Pub
- 3 : km 2.56 - alt. 31 m - Start of Track
- 4 : km 4.98 - alt. 31 m - Old North Road
- 5 : km 6.06 - alt. 53 m - A505 Roundabout
- E : km 7.07 - alt. 59 m - Royston Railway Station
Facilities : Refreshments are available at the Dolphin Pub in Melbourn, supplies available from Tesco in Royston.
Transportation : Royston is a manned station, facilities are on the south side on Platform 1.
More information at Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton Community Rail Partnership here.
- Meldreth station serves the villages of Meldreth and Melbourn. It can be accessed from the High Street in Meldreth and by footpath from Station Road in Melbourn. It is operated by Great Northern and served by trains between London King’s Cross and Cambridge. Trains run half-hourly on weekdays and hourly at weekends. There is a car park. The ticket office is open on Monday-Friday 07:00-11:15, Saturday 08:45-13:15 and closed on Sunday. There is a self-service machine which takes cash and credit cards. Tickets can be collected from counter or from the machine which is located near the entrance to the car park on platform 2. There is a wheelchair ramp leading to platform 2 for trains to Cambridge but no wheelchair access to platform 1 for trains to London. The car park has disabled parking. When the ticket office is open (Monday to Saturday mornings) there is access to a waiting room, public telephone and toilets. Trains on weekdays go to Cambridge from around 06:30 to 01:00 and to London from around 06:00 to 23:30. There is also a regular service at weekends.
Always stay careful and alert while following a route. Visorando and the author of this walk cannot be held responsible in the event of an accident during this route.