This walk is part of the trek Station to Station walks.
A point to point walk, which includes Melbourn Village and a stretch across the countryside before heading into Royston Town.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D) Leave Meldreth Station via the steps which lead (South - South-East) to the footpath towards Melbourn. Follow the footpath all the way along to join Station Road, heading for Melbourn.
(1) After the bridge, at Dolphin Lane, turn right, and follow the road all the way to the High Street passing A10.
(2) When you reach High Street, opposite The Dolphin pub, turn right and follow the road all the way through Melbourn until you reach the A10.
(3) Cross the A10 carefully, and follow the track opposite in a (South - South-West direction), and under a railway tunnel. Carry on in the same direction all the way until it joins Old North Road (A1198).
(4) At Old North Road turn left. This is a busy road, but has a footway all the way along. When you get closer to Royston the footway crosses the road so you will now be on the right-hand side of the road up to the roundabout.
(5) Cross straight ahead the A505 roundabout carefully, and walk up Old North Road, past Tesco and beyond to Royston Railway Station. (A)
If you are returning to Shepreth or Cambridge, take the first entrance to Royston Station on the right. If you are returning to stations towards London, cross over the bridge and take the second entrance to Royston station on the right.
D : km 0 - alt. 24m - Meldreth Railway Station
1 : km 0.74 - alt. 26m - Dolphin Lane
2 : km 1.2 - alt. 29m - Dolphin Pub
3 : km 2.56 - alt. 31m - Start of Track
4 : km 4.98 - alt. 31m - Old North Road
5 : km 6.06 - alt. 53m - A505 Roundabout
A : km 7.07 - alt. 59m - Royston Railway Station
Facilities : Refreshments are available at the Dolphin Pub in Melbourn, supplies available from Tesco in Royston.
Transportation : Royston is a manned station, facilities are on the south side on Platform 1.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Walk along the river Mel, river Rhee (Cam) and river Shep. Passing the Royal Oak Barrington, the Plough Shepreth and the Green Man Dunsbridge Turnpike.
From Meldreth Station, this circular walk takes you past two churches, through the Melwood Nature Reserve and past the British Queen Pub.
A point to point walk from Shepreth Station to Meldreth Station passing through the village of Melbourn.
See all the sights of Shepreth : Docwras Manor Garden, the Crossing House Garden, Shepreth L-Moor (SSSI), Shepreth Church, The Plough, The Teacake and Shepreth Wildlife Park.
From Foxton Railway Station you can take in the sights of Foxton - the Dovecot, Foxton Wood, St Laurence Church and the White Horse Pub.
A point to point walk from Foxton Station to Shepreth Station with a nice woody interlude through the Wimbish Estate.
For those 3 easy walks, you will visit the 3 stations composing the Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton Community Rail Partnership.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.