This fairly easy circuit from Saint-Laurent-de-Vaux will take you on a pleasant trail mainly in the forest. If the weather is clear, the view from the Plat Saint-Romain plateau offers a panoramic view of the Alps.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
The town hall car park at the entrance to the village on the left coming from Vaugneray.
(S) Back at the church, leave the car park down the street that goes up on the right.
(1) Approximately 250 metres before the bend in the road, take the trail on the left at the foot of a big house. Continue on this path which climbs gently near the forest and the Bois de Taconan.
(2) When you arrive in a valley in the forest in the middle of which flows the Goutte Lais stream, take the path down to your left along the stream. Follow this path through the woods to cross a dirt road
(3) Take this road to the right to pass above a large farm in Chatanay.
(4) Just past the farm, a small path leads to the right. Follow it.
(5) Shortly after arriving in the fields, the path crosses a dirt road. Turn right on this road leading to a small road that takes you left to the viewpoint.
(6) A very steep trail descends to the left of the table. Take it. It leads you to the farm of Haute Bruyère. Turn right here and return to the road.
(7) Take the road uphill to the right. Ignore the first path which starts on the left and around the next bend, veer onto the trail on the left of the road. Follow this path up above orchards before beginning to run alongside a forest.
(8) At the crossroads at the exit of the forest, take the first path up on the right. Continue to and cut across a small road that you take on your right. The road leads you to a crossroads on the plateau.
(9) Take the road in front of you that leads to the farm of Plat Saint-Romain. Walk along this farm ignoring all other trails.
Reach the farm, take the path that leads off opposite you in the turn. Immediately after this, take the small trail on the left that takes you to point (1) and go down the street to find your car in the car park (F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 423m
1 : km 0.25 - alt. 444m - Leave the road
2 : km 1.59 - alt. 548m - Creux de la combe
3 : km 2.46 - alt. 477m - Dirt road
4 : km 2.88 - alt. 460m - Big farm
5 : km 3.19 - alt. 489m - Turn right into the fields
6 : km 3.73 - alt. 529m - Orientation table
7 : km 4.21 - alt. 458m - La Haute Bruyère
8 : km 5.86 - alt. 519m - Junction at the exit of the forest
9 : km 6.96 - alt. 602m - Marker 601
D/A : km 8.56 - alt. 423m
Parking: you can leave your car in the car park outside the town hall. If it is full you can park before the bend a little higher up.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2931ET, 2932ET, 3031OT.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
This path is very pleasant in the Autumn, with a magnificent view of the monts d'Or, Lyon and the Rhone valley.
This route can be extended in the direction of Yzeron or Thurin.
Varied itinerary: Forest on the climb toward the Crêt de Py Froid then at the start of the descent. The landscape opens out on the descent, becoming more rural. A little walking on the road.
A very nice circuit around the Monts du Lyonnais to explore the climbing area at Py Froid.
A beautiful circular walk through the varied and undulating landscapes of this part of the Monts du Lyonnais, taking you through the pretty, shady valley of the Bâtie stream and along the Rontalon botanical trail. The route follows an old railroad track from the early twentieth century, before climbing up through a Mediterranean style forest and past some market gardens. End by visiting the medieval village of Rochefort where you can visit the remains of the keep and the chapel.
In addition to being a nice hike, this circuit is interesting because throughout the trail signs provide educational information on the fauna and flora, tree species etc. It also helps hikers discover the local agricultural heritage that is everywhere so close to Lyon.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.