Start : Car park chair lift at Vicheres.
(S/E) From the parking walk along the road passing a sign post on the left up some chalets (Nid d' Amour and Bavon), ignore this and continue straight on. The tarmac road ends and becomes a stone track, walk along this in a Northerly direction.
Ignore the first turn back on the left (which goes back to the chalets) and continue straight on. At the next bifurcation, ignore the path that descends on the right and continue ascending via the left hand track. This will soon bring you to another turn back on the left. Again, ignore this turn back and continue ascending straight on (North-North-West), after about 500m you will arrive at a third turn back on the left.
(1) As before, ignore this turn back and continue straight on.
(2) After about 600m there is a further, less defined, turning on the left which you can take or, as shown, continue to the end of the track.
(3) At the end of the track take the path on the left uphill (South-West) which brings you onto the path from (2). This is marked with a prominent wooden post and yellow makers for a cross country ski trail. Turn right (West) and continue uphill to where the path flattens out in front of a boulder and multiple sign posts with the first of the great views in front of you. (Plan Beu 1828m)
(4) From in front of the boulder take the path on the left, marked with wooden sign 'Bavon' and then yellow diamonds. This path will continue to the top and you will follow, yellow diamonds, yellow flashes on trees, magenta paint flashes and some magenta snow shoe trail markers, numbered 12.
The path winds its way up through the forest following these markers. The ascent is steepest in the middle part but the trees provide shade. As the angle eases and the trees thin out there are minor branches off the path, ignore these and continue to follow the paint flashes to a good view point. Following this you will come to a distinctive split in the path.
(5) Take the right hand path that heads uphill (yellow paint flashes). It will bring you to a magnificent view over the Val Ferret and the western end of the Mont Blanc Massive, but be careful you are on the edge of a sheer cliff face. Continue upwards to the top at 2111m. where the trees thin out and the 360 degree view is spectacular. This is a great place to eat your sandwiches and enjoy the view.
(6) From the summit head on down the path in a southerly direction towards the edge of the trees until you arrive at the workings for a button tow. Below you on the left is a small cabin and the lower mechanism and a further chair lift. Walk past the button tow mechanism to where the grassy path bends left and the right to pick up a track beside the chair lift.
(7) There are three tracks leading away from here. You need to take the left most (lowest - South-West) track. You will pass under the cables from the chair lift from Vicheres and arrive at a split in the track.
(8) Take the track on the left and descend to another junction. (The path on the right goes to the cow sheds at Bavon, if you like cows then you may find a fine herd here)
(9) At this point you have two choices for the descent. The track GPX track shown is described here and an alternative in Useful Information below. Take a grassy path on your left descending ahead of you to a cabin and ski lift mechanism. (Blue piste sign at (9) Chapalet)
At the cabin turn left again and follow the path descending across the pasture, skirting the edge of the forest and then briefly through the trees (ignore the path on the right in the trees) and then across the pasture again to the chalets at Le Chapelet just above the parking. Follow the track down past the buildings to the path that descends to the end of the car park.
(1) Turn right and follow the track descending gently back to the car park (S/E)