A lovely hike up to Pivaut ice house (1880), which has been beautifully restored.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Park on the way out of Mazaugues (83136), 800m after the village on the road to Sainte-Baume. There is a large car park on the right.
Cross the road (be careful) and take the path immediately opposite you, Chemin Saint Victor, (tarmacked at the start) which climbs up quite steeply in places. Follow this path for 1.8 km until you reach a crossing with another footpath.
(1) Turn right and keep walking uphill as far as the fork at point 568.
(2) Continue along the right-hand path until you reach another fork a little further on.
(3) Turn left and keep following the track ignoring any other turnings until you reach a crossing about 300m after point 687.
(4) Walk down the wide track to the right until you reach the D95 road.
(5) Walk left down the road for a few dozen metres.
(6) Turn left onto the wooden path on stilts leading to Pivaut ice house.
(7) Take a look around the ice house, then walk around the outside of the ice house to the left to see one of the old pools where the ice was once made, up behind the ice house. Take the same path back down until you reach point (5).
(5) Cross the road and take the path downhill to the left (rocky in places) until you reach the D95.
(8) Continue straight on along the edge of the road for a few hundred metres until you reach a track to the left as you come out of a right-hand bend in the road.
(9) Leave the D95 and take this track along the flat.
(10) At the fork, take the left-hand path and then bear left at the following two forks. At the last fork, bear right to reach the D64.
(11) Take the D64 to the right. Turn left at the junction with the D95 and follow this road to the car park you started out at (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 388m
1 : km 1.78 - alt. 521m - Crossing, turn right
2 : km 2.46 - alt. 573m - Point 568, fork, turn right
3 : km 2.62 - alt. 578m - Fork, turn left
4 : km 5.87 - alt. 696m - Crossing, take the path down to the right
5 : km 7.07 - alt. 612m - D95, walk left for a few dozen metres
6 : km 7.22 - alt. 625m - Turn left onto the wooden path
7 : km 7.41 - alt. 645m - Pivaut ice house
8 : km 9.23 - alt. 474m - D95, go straight on along the side of the road
9 : km 10.37 - alt. 434m - Leave the road and take the track on the left
10 : km 12.53 - alt. 378m - Fork, turn left
11 : km 13.17 - alt. 373m - D64, turn right
D/A : km 14.19 - alt. 388m
There is no water source on this walk. All of the uphill climb takes place on the way to the ice house.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
In Mazaugues, if the Ice Museum is open, it is worth having a look around to understand the region’s ice industry.
A beautiful hike in the hills of Tourves.
A remarkable view over the Saint-Maximin plains and the mountain La Loube.
Wonderful opportunity to discover and tour the Saint-Probace Chapel
A short route that climbs up to the summit of the Loube mountain where you can enjoy a panoramic view over the sea and Alps. A wonderful walk with every step!
A hike with beautiful viewing points over Sainte-Baume and the surrounding mountains, a nice stream in Latay and vestiges of former houses.
This varied hike visits the remains of the famous Devil's Bridge, which cost the lives of many cart drivers loaded with ice packs. They came down from Sainte Baume as fast as possible, to deliver the people of Toulon or other citizens.
On this walk you'll discover some of the locations used to film Manon des Sources and Jean de Florette (1986): the Grotte de Mounoï cave, the dried-up stream and the Villa Renard - the hunchback's house.
This route will also let you discover the Vallon des Martyrs, with its monument commemorating resistance fighters executed by the SS in 1944. All along the walk you'll experience incredible Provence landscapes and the Sainte-Baume.
Walk on the ridge of Sainte-Baume after visiting the Cave of Mary Magdalene.
This hike is not very difficult and is suitable for the whole family.
Pretty paths through the pines and the garrigue.
This is a walk I'm really enjoying at the moment with flowers along the route and a view of the Barres de Cuers.
There's little difficulty, the false-flat is long, after the hives on the descent, so be aware.
The hives are magnificent.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.