A diverse hike: forests, ridges, vast panoramic views...
Start from Le Truc hamlet, from the sqaure with a wash house.
(S/F) With the wash house to your right, go straight up the road opposite heading north-east and following "route du Guinchet".
(1) After roughly 400 m, take a path to the right heading uphill opposite the slope. At the first junction, take a left onto the GRP "Sentier des Quatre Montagnes" for about 150 m.
(2) Leave the GRP and head right up a steady slope.
(3) At the place called Obereaux (high point 1508), cross a forest trail and continue uphill on the other side through undergrowth. Go past a right turn, a hairpin turn on the left and, after 400 m you'll reach Pas de l'Ours. The ridge with view over "plateau de la Molière" takes shape.
(4) Head left following the ridge, pass by Sous Charande (5) and keep going along the ridge reaching Charande.
(6) Head north along the ridge to reach "Pas du Tracollet".
(7) Turn right onto a trail heading down towards "plateau de la Molière". The trail smoothly heads uphill (north-north-east) reaching Molière car park (inaccessible by cars in the winter).
(8) Opposite the viewpoint indicator, take a flat trail on the left-hand side leading to Plénouze. Ignore the trails heading off to the right.
(9) At the junction, climb up to "plateau de Plénouze" (10). Backtrack.
(9) Leave the trail you took to get here, and head down to the right.
(11) Cross a forest trail in Font Chaude et continue on the trail on the other side. At the junction with the trail that heads up to Plénouze, take a hairpin turn left and keep heading downhill due south-west. You'll reach the road on the right-hand side that leads to Ronins hamlet.
(12) Take a left and follow a flat path suitable for vehicles.
(13) At Villeneuve hamlet crossing, keep going straight ahead along a tarmac road.
(14) Go past a holiday centre on the left and keep going straight returning to your starting point Le Truc hamlet (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 1101m
1 : km 0.55 - alt. 1138m - Take path to the right
2 : km 0.82 - alt. 1202m - Leave the GRP, head right, uphill
3 : km 2.97 - alt. 1526m - Cross the forest trail
4 : km 4.06 - alt. 1653m - Pas de l'Ours
5 : km 4.51 - alt. 1676m - Sous Charande
6 : km 4.99 - alt. 1700m - Charande
7 : km 5.64 - alt. 1641m - Pas du Tracollet
8 : km 6.42 - alt. 1633m - Table d'orientation de La Molière
9 : km 8.03 - alt. 1628m - Junction leading to Plénouze
10 : km 8.1 - alt. 1633m - Plénouze
11 : km 8.64 - alt. 1552m - Cross the forest trail
12 : km 10.56 - alt. 1130m - Head left
13 : km 11.48 - alt. 1113m - Villeneuve, keep going straight
14 : km 12.79 - alt. 1078m - Holiday centre, straight on
D/A : km 13.97 - alt. 1100m
The hike was performed with snow shoes but can be achieved by foot when there's no snow.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3235OT.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
A detour can be made to gïte de la Molière (beneath Pas de l'Ours (4)) for a bite to eat or a sleep over. However be careful, the slope is steep and not recommended if the ground is covered with snow or ice. In any case, book in advance.
(8) Picnic tables and a view point over the entire northern Alps mountain range with viewpoint indicator.
From crête de La Molière (ridge), you can watch marmots, pelegrine falcons and incidentally, chamois.
Attractive spring flora throughout the plateau.
In the heart of the Chartreuse mountains, the Col de Porte is a former family ski resort whose ski lifts are now closed. The paths are more or less well marked allowing you to enjoy the trails on cross-country skis or snowshoes. The proposed circuit climbs through forest, coming out on a crest and offers superb views over the entire Chartreuse mountain range.
A very pleasant hike, described here snowshoe users, but also good for walks on sunny days.
A lovely with snowshoes, with a beautiful view of the Alpine peaks at its height. Note that this hike can be done in all seasons.
A beautiful hike to be done with or without snowshoes.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.