(S) Go right for just a few yards, then cross over St Judes Road and into Barley Mow Road. Follow Barley Mow Road using right hand side pavement and crossing over when pavement changes sides. At T-junction cross straight over the road (Middle Hill). Turn right for just a few yards and immediately before Lancaster Close, turn left past the metal barrier and onto the enclosed path, signed Public Footpath.
(1) The path leads to Tite Hill. Cross straight over onto the enclosed path. After 150 yards the path turns right, and soon after turns left and eventually leads out onto Coopers Hill Lane next to the entrance to Englefield Park. Turn left and after 70 yards turn right to visit the Air Forces' Memorial.
(2) Then retrace your steps back to the entrance at Coopers Hill Lane. Turn left along Cooper's Hill Lane and stay left past Kingswood Campus, of Royal Holloway College (at 1 mile). Coopers Hill Lane soon turns right. At this point turn left through a wooden kissing gate and into the National Trust, Coopers Hill Woods. The path descends using steps.
After 200 yards, the footpath becomes a boardwalk, then immediately after this stay left at the fork onto an unmarked path (DO NOT take the more obvious footpath downhill). The path soon comes to a fence, continue straight on thru' the trees, keeping the fence to your left hand side. The fence is not well maintained and does disappear at times.
The path leads to a wooden gate. Go straight on through the gate and, uphill across a field (it's steeper than it looks), soon past a viewpoint with a bench Stay straight on into and across a second field. Then enter another field and straight on, keeping the hedgerow to your left hand side.
(3) Exit through a pedestrian gate and turn right and downhill on an enclosed footpath. After another 120 yards, to the left of the path is a large engraved slab of Portland stone which acts as the centre-piece of the John F Kennedy Memorial.
Turn left past the JFK Memorial, and walk to the end of the walkway and back (this is to see the full extent of the memorial). Then turn left and down steps.
At the bottom go through the wooden kissing gate, then turn half left and follow the worn path diagonally across the meadow for 100 yards to reach a set of 12 chairs. Retrace your steps back to the wooden kissing gate (at 2 miles), but do not go back through it. Instead, turn left along a line of trees to your right hand side.
(4) After 160m turn right through a wooden gate to visit Magna Carta Memorial. Then retrace your steps back down to the meadow and turn right, soon through a kissing-gate between trees, signed Air Forces' Memorial (and possibly Writ in Water).
After 300 yards you reach a round building named "Writ in Water". After visiting "Writ in Water" continue to follow the path along the line of trees to your right hand side and soon into trees. Follow this path straight on through the lower slopes of Coopers Hill Woods for half a mile, ignoring all other paths.
(5) Go through a kissing gate and turn right and uphill to exit woods onto Coopers Hill Lane. Turn left along the narrow lane.
(6) At T-junction with A30, turn right along the pavement, soon past Maranello Maserati & Ferrari garage, then turn left to cross A30 using the staggered pelican crossing.
Once over the A30, turn right along the pavement, then left into Egham High Street and past The Kings Arms. Continue along High Street and soon past Strodes College to your left, then stay left at the junction (still along High Street and now at 3.5 miles). Follow the narrow High Street for 0.2 miles, then stay left past King John statue.
(7) After 170m, stay left at the roundabout, still High Street. After another 320m, just after Burger King and just before the large roundabout. Turn right to cross the road and follow the cycle track/footpath under M25. 220m later on reaching the road, turn left under bridge, then veer right onto cycle track and follow around to the right.
(8) After just a few extra yards, turn left to cross the road (The Glanty, A308) using the staggered crossing and then turn right along the pavement. The Glanty, soon becomes The Causeway. After another quarter of a mile cross over River Park Avenue (Homebase & Halfords). You need to go a few yards left before you can cross over. Then back to the main road and continue along The Causeway.
(9) Past Sainsbury's to your right hand side (at 5 miles) and follow pavement, soon turning left and over Staines Bridge. Once over the bridge, continue along the pavement for just 60 yards then turn left and down steps signed Thames Path (there is also an access ramp just a short distance further along). Continue straight on back to the River Thames.
At the river turn left under Staines Bridge and go straight on along the Thames Path. Continue along the River Thames Path, soon across a footbridge over River Colne. Within a short distance go straight on past the London Stone. To the right is Staines Town Pier and to the left is the back of Staines Town Hall.
(10) At the end of the Memorial Gardens, and just before reaching the Thames Lodge Hotel, turn left signed Thames Path. On reaching Thames Street, turn right along the pavement and past the Thames Court Hotel. Then veer right to re-join the river path under the railway bridge (at 5.6 miles) and continue downstream along the River Thames.
At 38. 5.76 miles, past St Peter’s Church. At 7.1 miles, past Penton Hook Lock. At 7.5 miles, as the road turns left, stay straight on past bollards and along the towpath as it narrows to a footpath.
(11) In 380 yards, by a tiny car park, the towpath becomes a road again. Stay straight on past Blacksmiths Lane to your left.
(12) At the junction of Thameside and Ferry Lane, veer off the road and along the grass, signed Thames Path. Follow the Thames Path along the grass, between the river and the road (at 8 miles).
(13) At 8.88 miles, pass under M3 Road Bridge. At 9 miles the towpath veers left to join the pavement past Chertsey Lock.
(14) On approaching Chertsey Bridge the pavement splits, take the right fork and follow under the bridge. Go through a wooden gate and follow the Thames Path around Dumpsey Meadow. After 830 yards (at 9.72 miles) go through a metal kissing gate and soon straight on past a path going off to the left hand side. The Thames Path becomes enclosed, with hedgerows and fences to the left and the River Thames to the right, for the next 0.6 miles. At 10.28 miles the towpath comes out through a small car park and onto a road. Veer right, past a wooden bench, and onto a narrow grass path, next to the river and with the road to your left hand side.
(15) At 11.05 miles, as you approach Shepperton Lock, the path does come out onto the road and past some parking spaces. However, when you get the opportunity, turn right and you'll be able to walk next to the lock. After the lock, follow the path across the grass and up to the road. Stay right along the road and past Nauticalia. As the road turns left, go right down the slipway to catch the ferry across the river
NOTE: If for any reason you are unable to catch the ferry, then you can divert by continuing along the Alternative Thames Path via Church Square and Halliford to re-join the walk at 12.45 miles just before Walton Bridge. This diversion is 2.1 miles and add one mile.
Once over the river, climb the steps from the ferry, and turn left to follow the towpath (there is a ramp up if you need it). At 12.45 miles (just after we pass the café) is where we are re-joined by anyone who used the diversion via Church Square and Halliford.
(16) Follow the towpath under Walton Bridge (at 12.5 miles). 330 yards after Walton Bridge the Thames Path crosses a footbridge over the entrance to Walton Marina. 350 yards later the Thames Path passes a small pier and then comes out at a small car park next to the river.
(17) Turn right, up to three steps and follow the pavement away from the river. At Manor Road cross straight over and turn right. Then after 60 yards, and between a white house and The Old Manor Inn, go left into a small public area with an information board (at 13 miles). Retrace your steps and continue along the pavement past The Old Manor Inn. Then, at the junction, stay left, now Thames Street.
(18) After 230 yards stay straight on past Mayo Road to your left hand side and The George Inn to your right hand side - now Bridge Street. Then in 100 yards, at crossroads, turn left - now Church Street (A3050). After 175 yards cross over Church Street, via the pelican crossing, to finish at St Mary's Church - the church and graveyard are really worth a visit.(E)