Flat walk from Cheshire Lounge Pub to Rostherne Church.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Begin at the Cheshire Lounge Pub just off the A556, Chester Road. Walk past the front of the pub towards the motorway and find the well hidden stile on the right and follow the path towards Coe Lane and turn then left. Follow the track and then turn left across the motorway bridge towards Hope Cottage.
(1) Follow the path to the left of Hope Cottage and cross cow fields towards Millington Lane.
(2) When reaching Millington Lane continue straight ahead into Millington Hall Lane and follow this until reaching Chester Road (A556).
(3) Cross the very busy Chester Road and follow the footpath down a track towards Denfield Hall Farm. If Chester Road is too busy to cross turn right out of Millington Hall Lane and walk down to the traffic lights and cross there. This will mean walking along a grass verge until you reach the path towards Denfield Hall Farm. Go through the gate at Denfield Hall Farm and veer left of the farm following the footpath across some fields towards Rostherne.
(4) Turn right at Rostherne Lane. You will see Rostherne Mere on the left through the woodland. Once in the village stop off at the fine parish church on the left and then continue along Rostherne Lane and turn left past some quaint cottages into a Natural England car park and keep right on the path until joining Marsh Lane.
(5) Turn left at Marsh Lane and continue on until the crossroads at Birkinheath Lane.
(6) Turn right at the crossroads into Birkinheath Lane and then turn left along a small road towards Birkin House. Follow the footpath directly ahead at Birkin House and cross the river on the wooden footbridge. Take the path directly ahead and then turn right when reaching the motorway.
(7) Cross the footbridge over the motorway. After crossing the motorway turn left and follow the path to Ryecroft Farm. Turn right at the small track and then left along the footpath. Turn left at the stile back towards Ryecroft Farm and then turn right and follow the River Bollin until reaching the footbridge on the left. Cross the bridge and turn right following the path between the M56 and the River Bollin.
(8) Cross the bridge over the motorway and proceed towards Yarwood Heath Farm. Take the footpath on the left just before reaching the farm. The footpath runs around the side of the farm and exits into Yarwood Heath Lane. Follow Yarwood Heath Lane back to Chester Road. Carefully cross Chester Road back to the start of the walk.(D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 29m - Cheshire Lounge Pub
1 : km 1.1 - alt. 33m - Hope Cottage
2 : km 2.39 - alt. 60m - Millington Lane
3 : km 3.56 - alt. 60m - Chester Road
4 : km 4.41 - alt. 38m - Rostherne Lane
5 : km 5.45 - alt. 52m - Marsh Lane
6 : km 6.52 - alt. 30m - Birkinheath Lane
7 : km 7.36 - alt. 31m - Footbridge
8 : km 8.87 - alt. 26m - Bridge
D/A : km 10.4 - alt. 29m - Cheshire Lounge Pub
This walk crosses the very busy A556 twice and may not be suitable for young children.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Global average : 0/5
Number of opinions : 0
Description quality : Non utilisé
Routemap quality : Non utilisé
Walk interest : Non utilisé
No, we visited Rostherne Church instead and walked from there to Tatton Park. A lovely walk too.
Thanks Lilacshoes. Yes this walk does need updating due to the new road. On my walking site www.wilmslowwalks.com I do point out that it is not advisable to do this walk at the moment. I'm not sure if Visorado included this info.
I hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment too much.
We could not complete the walk because the Cheshire Lounge Pub is no longer there due to a new road being constructed. We tried to go to next step on the route but we’re unable to find somewhere to park due to it being a narrow lane. The walk needs updating slightly to rectify this.
An extended stroll through historic Lymm and round its picturesque wooded lake.
Visit a magnificent deer park and stately home, with peaceful canalside interludes.
An easy stroll through fields and woods and along the canal towpath.
Great walk from Castle Mill Lane to Kell House Farm.
Using a part of Lymm Heritage Trail, this circular walk will take you around Lymm Dam. It was created in 1824 by a dam built during the construction of what is now the A56 road.
Easy and flat walk from Wood Lane to Higherhouse Farm.
This a pleasant little walk and sadly part of it is disappearing under concrete. Manchester Airport have developed on either side of Sunbank Lane. There was a petition to stop it but sadly it failed. There are some before and after pictures on the slideshow.
Great and flat walk from Smith Lane to Booths Mere.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.