Great walk from Castle Mill Lane to Kell House Farm.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Start the walk on Castle Mill Lane near Thors Green. Take a steep path down to the River Bollin, turn right and then left across the footbridge over the River Bollin.
(1) Turn left after crossing the footbridge and follow the path to the bridge under the motorway. Follow the path along a scenic wooded route until reaching a small road and then turn left. There are some attractive houses along this road.
(2) Turn left along the signposted footpath into Hale Golf Course and follow the path until reaching a footbridge over the river.
(3) Cross the bridge and continue until reaching Castle Mill Lane.
(4) Turn right and continue on past Dairy House Farm, cross the railway bridge and take the footpath towards Ashley Hall. There are some lovely old buildings near Ashley Hall in a process of renovation.
(5) Cross the motorway bridge and continue onto Ashley Road. Cross the road and turn left down the footpath past the cricket club and towards Arden House. There are lots of horses in the fields along this stretch near Stock Farm. If you are nervous about horses it might be better to plan your route around these fields along the country lanes.
(6) Turn right before Arden House and then left at the little road towards Arden Hall. Keep straight ahead and take the footpath to Birtles Farm. The path leads right through the middle of Birtles Farm.
(7) Turn left after the farm and head towards Kell House Farm along some open fields.
(8) Turn left at Kell House Farm and then right when you reach Pepper Street.
(9) Take the footpath to the left at the bend in the road and carefully cross the railway line.
(10) Head on to Breach House Lane and turn right. At the bend in the road turn left and continue straight on along the footpath and follow the footpath towards Castle Hill Farm through large fields. Turn left at the track leading to Castle Hill Farm.
(11) Turn left at Mill Lane and continue on to the start of the walk.(D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 56m - Castle Mill Lane
1 : km 0.38 - alt. 45m - Footbridge
2 : km 1.93 - alt. 46m - Hale Golf Course
3 : km 2.4 - alt. 40m - Bridge
4 : km 2.98 - alt. 40m - Castle Mill Lane
5 : km 4.78 - alt. 44m - Motorway bridge
6 : km 5.73 - alt. 41m - Arden House
7 : km 6.43 - alt. 35m - Birtles Farm
8 : km 7.6 - alt. 40m - Kell House Farm
9 : km 8.25 - alt. 42m - Footpath
10 : km 8.91 - alt. 49m - Breach House Lane
11 : km 11.39 - alt. 57m - Mill Lane
D/A : km 11.95 - alt. 56m - Castle Mill Lane
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Global average : 4/5
Number of opinions : 1
Description quality : 4/5
Routemap quality : 4/5
Walk interest : 4/5
Global average : 4 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Good
Routemap quality : Good
Walk interest : Good
Nice easy flat walk with good mix of lane, footpath and field walking. Did this walk in January of this year, when planes were not flying from the airport. Very different this time and very close to end of runway towards the end of the walk. Great if you like watching planes.:😀
This a pleasant little walk and sadly part of it is disappearing under concrete. Manchester Airport have developed on either side of Sunbank Lane. There was a petition to stop it but sadly it failed. There are some before and after pictures on the slideshow.
Easy and flat walk from Wood Lane to Higherhouse Farm.
This walk starts at the big roundabout on Altrincham Road just before the airport tunnels.
Nice and flat walk from Lady Lane to Valewood Farm.
Great and flat walk from Smith Lane to Booths Mere.
Great and flat walk from Mobberley to Mountpleasant Farm.
Lindow Common is a very popular area and is well worth a visit in its own right. The common is crisscrossed by numerous footpaths and contains the Black Lake. It’s worthwhile exploring areas away from Black Lake where there are some small pools and expanses of heather. There is a lot of conservation work being carried out on the common which is designed to keep its open aspect and to protect wildlife and fauna. It is designated as a site of special scientific interest.
Farmland walking along tracks and field paths, returning via Saltersley Hall and an area of heathery peatland.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.