From Col du chatoux (or col du Chêne), this hike goes through woods along the ridge line offering wonderful views:
-over the Saône and eastern Beaujolais valleys
- over Azergues Valley to the west.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Car park at col du Châtoux or col du Chêne on the right-hand side coming from Saule d'Oingt (avoid using the restaurant car park on the left, or ask for permission!).
(S/F) To the right-hand side of the pass coming from Saule d'Oingt, take the GR76 waymarked Red and White heading up through the woods due north-west it's the first trail to the left-hand side of the road). You'll reach fontaine des Ânes crossroads.
(1) Keep heading straight along the GR76 reaching a viewpoint indicator.
(2) Head north-north-east downhill reaching a 5 path crossing at the bottom.
(3) Keep heading straight along the GR76 reaching a trail crossing.
(4) Carry on, slightly to the right, keeping to the GR76, reaching Saint-Cyr-le-Chatoux.
(5) Don't enter the village, instead, take the hairpin turn left onto the forest trail. Remain on the forest trail reaching another trail crossing.
(6) Keep to the forest trail which turns on the other side, ignore a large path on the right and reach "la source de Font Froide".
(7) Carry on along the path heading south-west.
(8) When la Cantinière hamlet is within sight, leave the trail to take the path heading uphill on the left-hand side.
(9) Cross the D116 (be careful), go twenty odd metres to the right then head on the road below to the left towards la Bonnaire.
(10) At la Bonnaire, go across the farm at the end of the road (potentially muddy) and continue on the path at the other end. Keep going straight until Col du Joncin.
(11) Cross the road taking the path on the other side (hiking signpost) going along the D116 towards Châtoux.
(12) When you get to the Châtoux signpost in a left-hand turn on the D116, take the road below on the right which goes through a "lieu-dit".
(13) Coming out of the "lieu-dit", in front of a stone house in a curved corner, leave the road, which turns slightly to the right and head along the path going uphill to the left-hand side of the house.
(14) At the crossroads, go left reaching your starting point at Col du Châtoux (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 711m
1 : km 0.77 - alt. 753m - Fontaine des Anes
2 : km 2.59 - alt. 862m - Viewpoint indicator + picnic tables
3 : km 3.11 - alt. 826m - Straight along the GR76
4 : km 4.31 - alt. 750m - Slightly to the right on the GR76
5 : km 5.04 - alt. 688m - Leave the GR76, take the forest trail on the left
6 : km 7.49 - alt. 613m - Keep to the forest trail on the other side
7 : km 8.74 - alt. 635m - "Source de Fontfroide" with memorial stone
8 : km 10.28 - alt. 637m - La Cantinière uphill (path on the left)
9 : km 11.06 - alt. 643m - D116, head left towards la Bonnaire
10 : km 11.44 - alt. 618m - Go across la Bonnaire
11 : km 12.31 - alt. 696m - Col du Joncin, cross, path on the other side
12 : km 13.95 - alt. 674m - D116, go right towards le Châtoux
13 : km 14.12 - alt. 671m - Uphill path outside the village
14 : km 14.45 - alt. 701m - Crossroads, go left
D/A : km 14.56 - alt. 712m
(2) Picnic area with view!
(7) Source de Font Froide, drinkable water.
(4) Potential short cut taking the path on the left (not marked) which links to (6).
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
A scenic walk between the mountain passes of Col du Châtoux and Col du Joncin.
A lovely, easy walk through the woods above Chamelet.
A hike on the highest summit of the Rhône Department.
A Short yet tough hike through the Monts d'Or. Very nice in good weather and on dry ground.
A hike in Beaujolais through vineyards and forests, starting from Juliénas near Belleville. This hike can be shortened or lengthened (see description).
This fairly easy circuit from Saint-Laurent-de-Vaux will take you on a pleasant trail mainly in the forest. If the weather is clear, the view from the Plat Saint-Romain plateau offers a panoramic view of the Alps.
This path is very pleasant in the Autumn, with a magnificent view of the monts d'Or, Lyon and the Rhone valley.
This route can be extended in the direction of Yzeron or Thurin.
A very nice circuit around the Monts du Lyonnais to explore the climbing area at Py Froid.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.