A stone's throw from town and you're high in the mountains. But pay attention to the risks.
(D/A) From the Foyer de Ski de Fond du Barioz ((cross-country skiing centre), go in a westerly direction along the almost-flat road and stay on it for about 300 meters.
(1) Climb to the left on the forest trail, which you can leave to take shortcuts. Reach the Pierre Roubet chalet on the left after a large loop.
(2) Fork to the right. You can't go straight ahead because there is a :risk of avalanche::. Climb the more-or-less wooded slope until you reach the ridge.
(3) Turn right and go along the ridge on the GRP: "Balcon des 7 Laux" - "Tour du Pays d'Allevard". Reach the Grand Rocher.
(4) Turn around on a parallel path and after some distance reach point (3) Continue straight ahead and pass under the Crêt Luisard.
(5) Continue northeast on relatively flat path until the refuge of the Crêt du Poulet.
(6) Leave in a south-westerly direction on an initially flat path but which descends gradually. Cross the ski tracks to find a trail that starts to the right.
(7) Descend to the right on this trail. N.B. Access to the trail ahead is prohibited as it is (exposed to avalanches).
(8) Continue right to descend on leisurely switchbacks through the forest and finally reach the Foyer de Ski de Fond du Barioz (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 1436m - Foyer de fond du Barioz
1 : km 0.26 - alt. 1445m - Trail intersection
2 : km 1.17 - alt. 1573m - Pierre Roubet chalet - Chalet de Pierre Roubet
3 : km 1.92 - alt. 1769m - GRP intersection
4 : km 3.4 - alt. 1903m - The Grand Rocher
5 : km 5.14 - alt. 1772m - Cret Luisard
6 : km 6.56 - alt. 1697m - Cret du Poulet refuge - Refuge le Crêt du Poulet
7 : km 7.63 - alt. 1614m - Descent intersection
8 : km 8.11 - alt. 1535m - Forest
D/A : km 8.57 - alt. 1438m
In winter, when leaving the Foyer de Ski de Fond, you'll be required to pay a fee of €2 (to cover the cost of creating snowshoe trails), also allowing you a free drink.
In winter, when you reach the ridges, do not approach the edge because cornices form and there is therefore a risk of falling.
Between points(2) and(7) there is a path(absolutely forbidden because of the risk of avalanche).
This hike can also be enjoyed in the summer.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3433OT.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Above the refuge of the Crêt du Poulet(6) (5mins away), there is an orientation table.
A lovely with snowshoes, with a beautiful view of the Alpine peaks at its height. Note that this hike can be done in all seasons.
A beautiful hike to be done with or without snowshoes.
In the heart of the Chartreuse mountains, the Col de Porte is a former family ski resort whose ski lifts are now closed. The paths are more or less well marked allowing you to enjoy the trails on cross-country skis or snowshoes. The proposed circuit climbs through forest, coming out on a crest and offers superb views over the entire Chartreuse mountain range.
A very pleasant hike, described here snowshoe users, but also good for walks on sunny days.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.