A pretty hike in this area of the Alpilles to discover the white cliffs of "Caisses de Jean Jean", the "Caisses de Servanne," the Castellas ridges and its viewpoints, and a walk along Servanne golf course in Mouriès.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Set out from Castellas car park on the D24, Route de Eygalières, about 1.5km north of Mouriès.
From the car park, walk left along Route de Eygalières (D24) for 500 metres.
(1) At the bend in the road, take the dirt track that continues straight on and which then runs alongside the golf course a little further along. After 500 metres you will see a path signposted to the left and then another to the right: keep going straight on.
(2) After 400 metres, where the track widens, turn left onto a path that climbs up to the ridges. After 500m you will find yourself at the foot of the white cliffs of the "Caisses de Jean Jean." Continue along the path, which goes downhill a little, and walk along the foot of the "Caisses de Jean Jean" for about 1.8km.
(3) The path then joins a tarred track. Turn immediately right (towards Cagalou) onto the small tarmacked road which takes you through some beautiful olive groves and stay on this road for 1.8km.
(4) Turn right onto the track (towards Cagalou) and follow the track for 1.5 km. You will see that you have done a first loop as you arrive back at the path you started off at, which took you up to the ridges and the Jean Jean cliffs.
Carry straight on for about 200m and then take the path on the right (5) which runs alongside the golf course and then takes you along the bottom of the south face of the "Caisses Jean Jean." Follow the path for about 1.9km.
(6) When you reach the tarmacked road, turn left and follow the road for 400 metres.
(7) At the first bend, turn left onto a small path that allows you to follow the road while walking in the scrubland. After 600 metres, you will go past the entrance gate for Servanne castle and you will need to join the road again for about 300 metres.
(8) Just before the bend, a path on the left takes you back up to the hill. After a short climb, you will come to a path on the left, which you will need to take and which will lead you past the bottom of the water reserve tank (yellow waymarks). Stay on this path for about 500 metres. Then join the path to the left that climbs up to Castellas ridge. Once on the ridges follow the path to the right (to the east) and follow the ridges (1.2km). The path then leads easily downhill back to the car park.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.53 - alt. km 0.53
2 : km 1.09 - alt. km 1.09
3 : km 1.49 - alt. km 1.49
4 : km 3.66 - alt. km 3.66
5 : km 4.48 - alt. km 4.48
6 : km 8.76 - alt. km 8.76
7 : km 9.13 - alt. km 9.13
8 : km 9.91 - alt. km 9.91
9 : km 10.49 - alt. km 10.49
D/A : km 11.8 - alt. km 11.8
There is a water fountain at the Source de l’Olivier on the path that runs alongside the golf course.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3043OT.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The cliffs of "Caisse de Jean Jean" on the north face with the ivy covering them forming a heart shape.
The remains of old sheepfolds.
Beautiful views from the ridges over the surrounding valleys, the Alpilles, and the Sainte Victoire mountain range in the distance.
As you walk along Servanne golf course, you can take a stop at the water fountain at the Source de l’Olivier.
Pretty views of the golf course.
A pleasant walk through the Alpilles.
Not particularly difficult, this is a hike that is excellent for beginners.
Nevertheless, there are beautiful stretches, commanding views and surprising natural displays of surprise and vigour.
A hike in the Alpilles along good paths. A varied landscape ranging from pine forest to Mediterranean scrubland with fine views over the hills and valleys.
The highlight of the walk is the wonderful view from the lookout tower over the Alpilles range, giving superb photo opportunities!
A ridge walk starting off the beaten track, with views over the south of the Alpilles. A climb through an almost untouched valley to join the ridge trail, offering panoramic views of the north.
The route starts from a typical village of the Alpilles, takes you past a chapel famous for its beauty in a delightful setting, and continues round a hill with views of the north slope of the ridge and the plain of Mollégès. On the return leg, there is a superb view of the old village of Eygalières.
A short hike around Baux-de-Provence, mostly on good trails. There is a short climb down a well-maintained rocky path. 360° views at the viewpoint (or what remains of it). The Baux cover "every angle" with many panoramic views. Return via the village with the option to pay it a visit.
A circuit on the north slope of the Alpilles on good tracks nice, overlooking cross-shaded valleys and ridges that offer views on all sides of the Alpilles. The view goes far beyond this. The tour starts with a track which “keeps its cards close to its chest”. Apart from the return by the GR 6, you will meet few if any other people on this route that is far off the beaten track.
Starting from the site of the Antiques de Glanum, a beautiful climb in the valley of Saint Clerg, which serves as a botanical trail, up to the ridges and back down to Lake Peiroou or Peirou, on the IGN map.
N.B.!: the short technical part with cables and some metal steps fixed into the rock that allows you to cross the rock above Lake Peiroou has been temporarily closed for safety reasons.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.