This hike will take you on paths through preserved scrubland and protected in a Natura 2000 zone. Its strong points: a village and a medieval castle overhanging fields of olive-trees and panoramas to take your breath away!
Technical sheet No. 31424441
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 14.83 km
Vertical gain : 277 m
Vertical drop : 277 m
Highest point : 343 m
Lowest point : 126 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Area : Massif central
Location : Allègre-les-Fumades (30500)
Starting point : N 44.184851° / E 4.232031°
Start : Cèze-Cévennes tourist office car-park at Allègres-les-Fumades (30500).
(D/A) With the town hall behind you, go in a North-Westerly direction along the Avenue des Thermes. Turn right on the path before the Alauzène river.
(1) Turn left, cross the bridge over the Alauzène and then turn right immediately and follow the river.
(2) Turn left and go straight ahead to Auzon, ignoring the paths on each side. Cross the Auzonnet river by the bridge.
(3) Turn right into the small pedestrian street (Rue des Écoles), direction la Bégude and le Château. Reach the D7. Cross the road with caution (no pedestrian crossing) and follow the Rue du Moulin opposite.
(4) At the junction, go straight ahead and pass the factory.
(5) At the crossroads, ignore the path on the right, which will be used on the way back, and go straight on. Then turn right at the next road, direction Le Château and continue along the path to reach the castle car-park.
(6) Climb the stairs on the right to reach the ruins of the Allègre castle.
(7) Continue towards the East, ignoring a path on the right that goes down to the road. Reach a fork in the path.
(8) Turn right in the direction of the Chapelle Saint-Saturnin then continue along the ridge until you reach a large cairn (pile of stones).
(9) Turn right going downhill. Keep right at the next forks to join the D37.
(10) Cross the road with caution to go diagonally across the DFCI track by a water tank. Follow the track to the next tank.
(11) Take the DFCI track on the right and follow it to pass through the Défilé d'Argensol and return to La Bégude.
(5) At the calvary, turn left and pass in front of the factory again.
(4) Turn left before the D7 through the archway that passes under the building. Continue straight ahead until the calvary. Then turn right to the Arlende cemetery.
(12) After the cemetery, at the calvary, turn left and go up the Rue du Lavoir until reach a sharp left bend. At the entrance of this bend, turn right and continue straight ahead to join the D7.
(13) Cross the D7 with caution and go along the Alauzène.
(1) Continue straight ahead, then turn left onto Avenue des Thermes to reach the starting point car park. (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 134 m - Cèze-Cévennes tourist office
1 : km 0.44 - alt. 134 m - Bridge
2 : km 0.94 - alt. 128 m - Turn left
3 : km 2.17 - alt. 137 m - Turn right into the small pedestrian street
4 : km 3.2 - alt. 128 m - Junction
5 : km 3.34 - alt. 129 m - La Bégude - will return to this point later
6 : km 5.03 - alt. 224 m - Allègre castle car-park
7 : km 5.37 - alt. 259 m - Château d'Allègre
8 : km 5.95 - alt. 310 m - Fork, turn right
9 : km 7.08 - alt. 330 m - Junction
10 : km 7.78 - alt. 278 m - D37 road - water tank
11 : km 10.34 - alt. 154 m - T junction - water tank
12 : km 12.71 - alt. 130 m - Cemetery
13 : km 13.88 - alt. 129 m - D7 road
D/A : km 14.83 - alt. 133 m - Cèze-Cévennes tourist office
Start : Park in the Cèze-Cévennes tourist office car-park at Allègres-les-Fumades (30500).
Facilities : At the castle, it is possible to eat in the guard's house, which has been left open and made available to hikers: three large tables and a fireplace.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
Allègre castle with orientation table, Saint-Saturnin chapel, magnificent panoramas.
Other walks in the area
Starting point in Euzet - 30 - Gard
Small circuit around Euzet, to discover the Cave or Baume des Camisards.
Starting point in Lussan - 30 - Gard
There is a lot to see in Lussan. Start with the clear waters of the narrows at the Portail des Concluses and carry on to the Pierre Plantée standing stone. You will be delighted by a breathtaking view of the Cévennes and will cross the scrubland on varied terrain to the Table des Turcs dolmen. Eventually you arrive at La Lèque, which is an ideal spot for a lunchbreak. The last few kilometres are on wide lanes, leading back to the first section of the route.
Starting point in Vézénobres - 30 - Gard
A nice little hike to discover Vézénobres, the medieval town, Martignargues the martyr and Saint-Étienne-de-l'Olm. Some good views, but mostly capitelles, the sources of the Mayre and the Payre, vineyards, olive trees in some places and paths under the oaks in others!
Starting point in Belvézet - 30 - Gard
A beautiful circuit in the Gard garrigue, discovering some of its small hidden hamlets.
Starting point in Uzès - 30 - Gard
A circuit around Uzès, discovering the Eure valley and its source that once fed the city of Nimes, then a loop through Gardoise scrubland to return to Uzès.
Starting point in Labastide-de-Virac - 07 - Ardèche
A very fine walk in the heart of the Ardèche Gorge. You will have to descend a combe and follow the river along a path, with a small section fitted with ropes and ladders. You will admire a succession of corries, cliffs, little caves, rocks, pinnacles, rapids, sandy
and pebble beaches. The cliffs are home to many birds.
You climb up again to the plateau by another fine valley, affording very impressive views of the gorge and the loops of the river .
Starting point in Vallon-Pont-d'Arc - 07 - Ardèche
Between Vallon-Pont-d'Arc and Saint-Remèze, this hike should be done mid-season before it become too difficult to park in "gorges de l'Ardèche" after Pont-d'Arc.The walk offers beautiful view points over the Ardèche and Tiourre valleys, the Saint-Remèze plateau then Pont-d'Arc on the trip back.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.