If you like Bories, you'll see them in the distance at the start, then up close, and you can even go inside some of them. On your way back, before you get to the village, you'll walk up a superb calade (cobbled) street, and there's a little detour to see the Château de Mane.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park at the Prieuré de Salagon car park, well signposted in the village of Mane.
(D/A) Walk up the Chemin de Clavière, to the left. At the top, take the path straight ahead, then pass the first path on your left and take the next one, which is a little less well marked. Join another path above and continue straight on. On your left you'll see lots of hives so walk quietly so as not to disturb them, and continue to the end.
(1) To the left, be careful crossing the D950 and then take the path opposite.
(2) There's a little detour to see two bories next to each other. Continue straight on for 700m.
(3) Take the wide track to the right, and walk along the Ravin du Sauvage.
(4) Don't cross the ravine, but at the bottom turn right and then left after 80m. Go down until you reach the road, turn left, follow it along the left-hand side of the road because the pedestrian crossing is wider, and continue for about 300m.
(5) As soon as you have passed the protective barrier, follow the path to the right. Walk all the way down to the village, and follow the Chemin de Chamarge to get to the D4100 main road.
(6) Turn right along this road, then stay on the main road until you reach the maison de produits de pays (local produce store). Still on the right-hand side, a sign will direct you to the Prieuré de Salagon. You're now just 500m away from the original car park (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 442m
1 : km 0.94 - alt. 503m
2 : km 1.52 - alt. 530m - Crossing the D950
3 : km 2.45 - alt. 612m - Right on the wide path.
4 : km 2.86 - alt. 583m - Right then left
5 : km 3.81 - alt. 528m - Right, after the barrier along the side of the roa
6 : km 4.95 - alt. 466m - Right on the D4100
D/A : km 6.05 - alt. 445m
Wear walking shoes and take water.
Be careful if you have children, you have to cross a road and walk 300m along the roadside.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
You must visit the Prieuré de Salagon
its museum and ethno-botanical gardens. You'll be parked in their car park.
The local produce store which you'll pass on the way back.
The Institut des huiles essentielles (Institute of essential oils) which you'll pass on the way back.
You can do a detour to see the Château de Mane from a distance - not open to the public.
And further away is the Château de Sauvan, signposted at the village exit.
A loop which poses no problems so can be undertaken with children to discover a dovecote which is still in a good state.
A beautiful loop around the Calavon Gorges from the village of Oppedette.
A colourful visit to a place known as the Colorado of Provence.
Discover the dry stone sheepfolds to the west of the Lure mountains.
Wonderful hike through the Lower Verdon Gorges, starting in Quinson.
A pretty walk off the beaten path. The views are breathtaking in diverse landscapes, all from the beautiful little hilltop village of Artignosc-sur-Verdon.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.