This walk visits sites associated with the story of Pentrich and South Wingfield Revolution. In September and October of 1818, the fourteen men sentenced to be transported arrived in Australia. This walk incorporates sites where some of the men spent time, plus a number of sites of significance in the early settlement of Sydney, including at the time these men were there. This is Walk 17 of the Pentrich and South Wingfield Revolution group.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Start : Travel by ferry from Circular Quay in Sydney to Parramatta Wharf.
(D/A) Exit Parramatta wharf and cross the river on your right to take the River Walk on the North side of the river. Walk along the riverside North-West, here you can go inside the tunnel under Lennox Bridge and take the stairs just at the end of the tunnel and walk straight along Church Street (North-North-East) to Prince Alfred Park. or you can go right up the stairs to walk towards Parramatta Heritage Centre in Church Street then just after cross Church Street and walk to Prince Alfred Park.
(1) Walk diagonally (North-West) through Prince Alfred Park/Gaol Green (A) and turn left (West) along Victoria Road to O’Connell Street. Cross O’Connell Street with care and walk diagonally (North-West) through the car park of the Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club to the causeway over the Parramatta River.
(2) Cross the road (Byrnes Avenue), turn left and walk up right (West) the path to the ‘Dairy Precinct’ (B). Follow the path in front of the dairy cottage on your left, then walk South past the Boer War Memorial and bath house. Pause at the old observatory site opposite.
(3) Follow the road past Old Government House (C), taking time to read the information boards in front of Old Government House. Continue straight (East) to the site demonstrating the size of the convict huts which had lined the road up to Old Government House (D).
Turn South along Byrnes Avenue past Murray Garden and Parramatta RSL Club then at the car park, turn left (East) down Macquarie Street to O’Connell Street. Turn right (South) to St John’s Cemetery. (E) Retrace steps down O’Connell Street to Hunter Street. Turn right on Hunter Street and walk to St John’s Anglican Church (F).
(4) The Short Walk Option: Follow the path to the rear of the Church to the Mall. Turn right, then left into Darcy Street to Railway Station for the train for the return to the city.
Otherwise, go right (South-East-South) on Centenary Square to follow Darcy Street on your left (East-South-East) past the railway station and turn right along Station Street East.
(5) Turn left (East) along Hassall Street, crossing Charles street and continue to Harris Street. Turn right (South) down Harris Street to Parkes Street. Cross Parkes Street and turn left (East) along Parkes Street and follow the path past James Ruse Experiment Farm Cottage (1789) (G).
(6) Continue up the path through the reserve to Alice Street (H). Turn left along Alice Street; cross Alfred Street and continue past Elizabeth Farm Cottage (I). Turn left (North) down Arthur Street, then turn left (West) to cross the Elizabeth Farm Reserve (J). Cross Alfred Street and take the path opposite.
(7) Turn right (North) down Gregory Place. Walk through the grounds of Hambledon Cottage on your left (North-West).
(8) Cross Hassall Street and turn right down Purchase Street (North) to the Parramatta River. Turn left (West) along the riverside path to Parramatta ferry wharf to catch a ferry back to Sidney city. (D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 0m - Parramatta wharf
1 : km 0.78 - alt. 0m - Prince Alfred Park/Gaol Green
2 : km 1.71 - alt. 0m - Causeway over the Parramatta River
3 : km 2.86 - alt. 0m - Old observatory site opposite
4 : km 4.19 - alt. 0m - St John’s Anglican Church - Short Walk Option
5 : km 4.67 - alt. 0m - Hassall Street
6 : km 5.58 - alt. 0m - James Ruse Experiment Farm Cottage
7 : km 6.67 - alt. 0m - Gregory Place
8 : km 6.9 - alt. 0m - Hassall Street
D/A : km 7.68 - alt. 0m - Parramatta wharf
Urban walk. Take care when crossing roads. Short option: 3.5 miles/5.5 km.
Start: Circular Quay in Sydney, Ferry to Parramatta. Sydney ferry Network F3 - Parramatta River
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
In September and October of 1818, the fourteen men sentenced to be transported arrived in Australia. This walk incorporates sites where some of the men spent time, plus a number of sites of significance in the early settlement of Sydney, including at the time these men were there. Men who spent some time in Parramatta, either in transit to other areas or assigned to someone in Parramatta were: Thomas and John Bacon, Samuel Hunt and John Onions.
(A) The Park is the site of original gaol which had a ‘factory above the gaol’ for women weavers. In some references this is referred to as the Female Factory, not to be confused with the Female Factory built in 1821 and pictured in the book England’s Last Revolution, which was where the Cumberland Hospital is now. 2 km (1.2 miles) north of here is St Monica’s Church which was built on the site of Samuel Hunt’s pub, the Green Gate later renamed The Sun Inn. Further north still is Hunt’s Creek, also named after him, and Saville Reserve named after his brother in law, land inherited from Samuel’s wife’s father.
(B) Dairy Cottage was built between 1796 and 1800. Here showing vegetables which were typically grown at the time.
(C) Note how Old Government House would have looked at the time the convicts were here.
(D) Head towards the Gate House to view the memorial to Lady Fitzroy who had died in a carriage accident. Follow the road to the Main Entrance and Gatehouse.
(E) View the family vault for Rev Marsden (the flogging parson). John Bacon was also buried in this cemetery, though site of the grave is unknown. Both Thomas and John Bacon worked for Rev Marsden on his farm North of Parramatta.
(F) This is where John Onions spent some time as the sexton. At this church also, Samuel Hunt married Elizabeth Seville in 1819. St John’s was the first officially established church in Australia and was the only one until 1810. The towers were built by convicts using handmade bricks and were finished by 1820. The towers are the only parts of the early church that remain.
(G) James Ruse, an emancipated convict, had been granted land to demonstrate that self-sufficiency was possible. He was able to do this by 1791. The current cottage was built by Surgeon John Harris in 1835.
(H) The outline of the foundations of James Ruse’s cottage is visible in the reserve near Alice Street.
(I) The building of the original bungalow was commenced by Elizabeth and John Macarthur in 1793. It was extended and modified over the next 35 years. The Macarthurs are credited with the establishment of the wool industry in Australia. Elizabeth’s dowry was 2,000 Merino sheep and 200 head of cattle.
(J) At the far side of the reserve, note the remnants of the carriage way which linked Hambledon Cottage and Elizabeth Farm Cottage. Hambledon Cottage was built by John Macarthur on land which was part of his estate.
This walk visits sites associated with the story of Pentrich and South Wingfield Revolution. In September and October of 1818, fourteen of the men sentenced to be transported arrived in Australia, this walk incorporates some of the areas of Sydney that all of the men would have frequented. This is Walk 16 of the Pentrich and South Wingfield Revolution group.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.