Walk starting from Chars SNCF station passing the Château de Saint-Cyr-sur-Chars.
On the way back to Chars there is a narrow pedestrian passage that starts with a staircase.
Technical sheet No. 4098730
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 10.15 km
Vertical gain : 86 m
Vertical drop : 87 m
Highest point : 119 m
Lowest point : 63 m
Start from the car park at the Chars train station if you come by car, otherwise start from the Place de la Gare.
(D/A)Follow the Impasse de la Gare then right down an alley, the Sente Pavet.
(1)Turn right on the Rue de la Villeterte when you join the GR11 marked white and red. Continue along a path that runs alongside the railway line until an old building on the left.
(2) Continue toward the right and cross the railway line. Follow the path that climbs through the Bois de Beaumont until you approach Lavilletertre.
(3) Leave the GR and take the path on the right in the direction of Romesnil.
(4) At the fork, go right, walk through the village and follow the road.
(5)Pass the bridge that spans the Ruisseau d'Arnoye and keep going until you reach the Château de Saint-Cyr.
(6) Facing the château, take the right-hand road that meets the GR11 and continue on this road.
(7) On a 90° bend, leave the road and following the path straight ahead (don't follow the bend) and then take the first path on the right. Continue to the end of the path and bend right until you reach the road.
(8) Go left until you reach a crossroads.
Turn right on the road that forms a loop and the at the end of the loop, go right (9) onto a staircase that crosses the railway line.
Walk down and follow the alley to find the Rue de l'Eglise in Chars on which you go right.
(10) Just after the level crossing, cross a car park to get to the Rue du Général Leclerc and continue until you reach the station (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 64 m - Gare de Chars
1 : km 0.27 - alt. 72 m - Right on Rue de la Villeterte
2 : km 1.79 - alt. 72 m - Right towards the level crossing - Viosne (rivière) à finaliser
3 : km 3.91 - alt. 99 m - Lavilletertre
4 : km 4.82 - alt. 115 m - Right towards Romesnil
5 : km 5.72 - alt. 90 m - Bridge on the Ruisseau d'Arnoye
6 : km 6.39 - alt. 109 m - Château
7 : km 7.65 - alt. 115 m - Path opposite
8 : km 8.71 - alt. 91 m - Right on the road
9 : km 9.25 - alt. 76 m - Staircase
10 : km 9.69 - alt. 65 m - Cross the car park
D/A : km 10.15 - alt. 64 m - Gare de Chars
Chars train station is served by the J line on the Transilien network, on the section between Paris-Saint-Lazare and Gisors, via Pontoise (connection with the H line on the Transilien network and the C line on the RER). For timetables, consult the website Transilien
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
Château de Saint-Cyr-sur-Chars.
Other walks in the area
Loop around Commeny
Starting point in Commeny (95 - Val-d'Oise)
A straight-forward loop around Commeny passing the Perchay and Chaussée Julus Caesar.
The Dolmen of Bois Couturier
Starting point in Wy-dit-Joli-Village (95 - Val-d'Oise)
The French Vexin region has numerous megalithic sites dating from the late third millennium B.C. This walk gives you the chance to visit a dolmen in a perfect state of preservation. As you stroll through the fields and woods, you will also be able to see some lovely churches and castles.
La Roche-Guyon: the castle, the forest, the flint cliffs
Starting point in Amenucourt (95 - Val-d'Oise)
A very varied hike that combines:
- Regional Forest of the Roche-Guyon,
- A beautiful, quiet valley,
- The town of La Roche and its castle,
- and finally, a scenic route overlooking the Seine.
The Forêt de Montmorency and its Southwest border
Starting point in Montlignon (95 - Val-d'Oise)
A walk in the larger Val d'Oise forest, located only 20 kilometres north of Paris. Chestnut trees are plentiful in this hilly area with ponds and historical sites. A walk to the southwest border will let you discover some interesting features of the local heritage.
The Vaucouleurs valley around Dammartin-en-Serves
Starting point in Dammartin-en-Serve (78 - Yvelines)
A beautiful walk through stunning and varied landscapes. Historic detours along the way.
From Porte Dauphine to Bercy
Starting point in Paris (75 - Paris)
A walk through Paris exploring the Left Bank and its quartiers.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.