Cherain - Rettigny et la vallée de l' Ourthe
This is a reposing walk between the fields and along small rivers. Recommend for people who love the country and nature.
Technical sheet No. 30958178
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 13.62 km
Vertical gain : 341 m
Vertical drop : 335 m
Highest point : 479 m
Lowest point : 367 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Area : Massif des Ardennes
Location : Gouvy
Starting point : N 50.180599° / E 5.865197°
Start : Car park near the cemetery of Cherain (Postcode 6673, Belgium).
(D/A) From the car park, take the road N827 and follow this for around 1 Km to a road junction. This part of the walk along the road with traffic is not very pleasant but it is quite short.
(1) Before entering Sterpigny take the smaller road at your right (South). There is much less traffic. Walk along this road for around 1 Km to cross the small stream "Ruisseau de la Fagne" and climb the hill for around 1.3 Km at a spot where you have a nice view.
(2) Turn right (South-East) to continue climbing the hill for around 650 m untill you come into the fields and reach a small road.
(3) Take the small road to the left (East-North-East) and continue along it for 1.5 Km to reach N838.
(4) Turn right (South-West) along N838 for around 150 m.
(5) Turn right again towards Lac de Cherapont campsite. Decend towards the 'Ourthe Orientale' riverside and follow the river until you have to cross the river. This is the nicest part of the walk.
(6) Cross the river then climb the hill left (East) again towards the fields and walk for around 950 m.
(7) At the junction, take right (North-North-West) untill you arrive again at the 'Ourthe Orientale' river. Follow the riverside for 1 Km or so, to a spot where you can cross the river. It's a beautiful place to have a picnic.
(8) After enjoying, cross the river then for the last time, climb up the hille, always bearing North-West untill you arrive at the top, to a junction with a large view on the valley and the villages. You can see already the church of Cherain.
(9) From there, decend towards Rettigny. Along the way, reach Renglez road where you turn right (North-West). Walk along the road and cross the village by turning left at the junction along Renglez. This really is a village of farmers.
(10) At the next junction, turn right. Walk along ignoring the first junction right and take the second one North.
(11) At the next Y-junction, take the small road left (North-West) that leads you directly to Cherain to reach N827. (Around 1.6 Km)
(12) Once you arrive at the N827, take left and follow the road until you come at your departure. (D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 419 m - Cemetery of Cherain
1 : km 1.09 - alt. 426 m - Smaller road
2 : km 3.42 - alt. 449 m - Hill
3 : km 4.08 - alt. 442 m - Small road
4 : km 5.65 - alt. 415 m - N838
5 : km 5.8 - alt. 401 m - Lac de Cherapont campsite - 'Ourthe Orientale'
6 : km 6.6 - alt. 400 m - 'Ourthe Orientale' river
7 : km 7.57 - alt. 479 m - Junction
8 : km 9.5 - alt. 385 m - River crossing
9 : km 10.16 - alt. 454 m - Junction with view
10 : km 11.61 - alt. 379 m - Junction
11 : km 11.84 - alt. 383 m - Y-junction
12 : km 13.45 - alt. 409 m - N827
D/A : km 13.62 - alt. 418 m - Cemetery of Cherain
Start & parking : Car park near the cemetery of Cherain (Postcode 6673, Belgium).
Terrain : There is no need for special equiment. Make sure that you have good boots als the road gets sometimes muddy and wet.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
Just admire nature and the fields
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.