A long but straight-forward hike overlooking "Baie de la Ciotat" and a beautiful view over Sainte-Baume mountain range and Sainte-Victoire Mountain.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park at Grand Caunet car park, a busy mountain biker spot.
(S/F) Follow the GR51 and 98 heading west until a crossroads with a cistern.
(1) Ignore the path on the left, and head up towards "Cabanon du Marquis" ignoring the path to the right leading to "le Montounier".
(2) Carry on until you reach "Cabanon des Gardes" (360° panoramic view: Baie de La Ciotat, Sainte-Baume, Sainte-Victoire, Mont Ventoux in the distance...).
(3) Head downhill on the forest trail now waymarked Yellow until you reach a hairpin turn.
(4) Leave the Yellow waymarked track and take the path on the left overlooking Vallon de Gendame. Head down towards the Oppidum.
(5) Regain the Yellow waymarked track. At each turn, you can either follow the Yellow waymarks or the cairns. Otherwise, remain on the forest trail until you reach a gate the head left.
(6) Head up the far end of "Vallon de Gendame" passing by a second gate. Then head towards Ceyreste sports field and tennis court along the campsite. You'll reach another gate near a pylon.
(7) After the gate, follow the Yellow waymarks heading towards Pelengarri taking you from an altitude of 184 m to 380 m at (1) where you'll find the GR from the beginning.
(1) Head downhill to the right, leading to the car park (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 399m
1 : km 1.49 - alt. 431m - Cistern crossroads
2 : km 3.21 - alt. 515m - Cabanon du Marquis
3 : km 5.1 - alt. 475m - 360) panoramic view
4 : km 6.02 - alt. 409m - Remain on the forest trail on the left
5 : km 7.95 - alt. 283m - Junction with the Yellow waymarked trail
6 : km 10.3 - alt. 104m - 2nd gate at the far end of Vallon de Gendame
7 : km 12.09 - alt. 191m - Gate, head towards Pellengarri
D/A : km 16.26 - alt. 399m
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
A nice tour from Sainte-Anne passing by different juniper kilns producing lime and pitch.
Tour of Carrière du Loin going via Bau Rous, and the Arch and Dent du Chat. Two sections, which are not very well marked and rarely visited, require trousers to be worn.
Beautiful loop between the vineyards and the coastal path with magnificent panoramic views.
Hike exploring the sights and features of Cape Canaille.
This trail is another way of getting to the Petit Tuny hut. On this trail, you stay off the DFCI tracks as much as possible, by taking non-waymarked paths instead. At the highest point of the route, you will have a wonderful view over Garlaban, the Huveaune Valley and Bertagne Peak.
This hike is not very difficult and is suitable for the whole family.
Pretty paths through the pines and the garrigue.
On this walk you'll discover some of the locations used to film Manon des Sources and Jean de Florette (1986): the Grotte de Mounoï cave, the dried-up stream and the Villa Renard - the hunchback's house.
This route will also let you discover the Vallon des Martyrs, with its monument commemorating resistance fighters executed by the SS in 1944. All along the walk you'll experience incredible Provence landscapes and the Sainte-Baume.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.