Nice looped hiking trail mostly in the undergrowth where you can see pretty views like Val du Fier's canyon, the river Rhône downstream Seyssel or the lovely ruined Saint André's chapel overlooking Albanais' plains.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
The start is one of the two car parks in Chavanne d'en bas.
(D/A) Ascend the road for 200 meters towards Chavanne d'en haut, then turn left the rocky track next to the non-entry sign. Go through "Réservoir car park" and follow the track still going up. At the end of the track, bear right at the fork after the low wall.
(1) Turn right again at the next fork to follow the yellow arrow sign. Walk along the small meadow and the shed on your left. From the second meadow on your right, keep following the yellow arrow sign.
(2) From "la Renardière", take the steep path towards "la Mare". Pass the mountain bike grid and cross the private field to the top.
(3) From "la Mare", you can enjoy the view to Albanais' plains and Semnoz hill in the background. Continue on the left towards "la ferme du Comte", then, go down on the left along the meadow. Go through the fence and descend the path in the undergrowth. Can be very slippery during wet weather here.
(4) From "la Corbeuraz", bear left following "belvédère du mont des princes" for about 5 minutes.
(5) Once arrived at the point of view, admire Val du Fier's canyon and the river Rhône downstream Seyssel on your right. From this point, go toward "Nouvellet Godlier" and "Chavanne par croix de Chavanne" following the yellow arrow signs.
(6) From Nouvellet Godlier's intersection, bear left towards "la Renardière".
(7) Enter the meadow on your right, just after the hedge. Head the undergrowth where you can see the yellow cross sign on the tree trunk. It leads you near a small chalet on your right. Keep going down and turn left when you see a double yellow arrow sign. Then, a red sign indicates to pay attention to a small cliff edge for 500 meters. From Chappay, follow ''Panorama de la croix de Chavanne".
(8) During the descent, don't miss another nice point of view on your right, where you can admire Val du Fier and Chapelle Ruinée St-André. Eventually, take the last descent reaching to Chavanne d'en bas' car park. (D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0 - Chavanne d'en bas' car park
1 : km 1.45 - alt. km 1.45 - les Grandes Ouilles
2 : km 2.45 - alt. km 2.45 - la Renardière
3 : km 3.27 - alt. km 3.27 - la Mare
4 : km 4.57 - alt. km 4.57 - la Corbeuraz
5 : km 4.96 - alt. km 4.96
6 : km 5.42 - alt. km 5.42 - Nouvellet Godlier's intersection
7 : km 5.86 - alt. km 5.86 - Enter of the meadow
8 : km 7.62 - alt. km 7.62 - Chapelle Ruinée St-André
D/A : km 8.08 - alt. km 8.08 - Chavanne d'en bas' car park
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3331OT.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Interesting explanations about the history of Saint André's chapel.
A summit and vistas in a site dominated by pastures.
A loop above lake Bourget for a late afternoon walk.
A walk amid historical sites and beautiful viewpoints.
An easy loop along Retord Plateau taking you past the "Gouffre de la Bauche" sinkhole and the "Crêt du Nu" viewpoint.
An atypical route through bushes and over the lake.
A circuit from Féclaz to the Nivolet Cross overlooking Chambéry.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.