Hike to discover the fountains of Laroque-des-Albères: the Font dels Simiots and amazing animals which, according to legend, kidnapped babies and came to settle near the fountain after being dislodged from Arles-sur-Tech; the Font de la Vernosa, a well-preserved, beautiful fountain from where one has a magnificent view of the plain of Roussillon.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park at the Tourism Office or at the Post Office of Laroque-des-Albères.
(S/F) From the Tourist Office/Hiking Centre, go between buildings and join a street. Turn right and then immediately left into Rue Arago. Reach the church and the village centre.
(1) In front of the church door, turn left into Rue de l’Eglise, in a dead end, which follows the trail lined to left by a stream. The trail leaves the village.
On the right, the Moulin de la Pave (an old mill) and then a few metres up a well-shaded fountain. Fontaine des Oiseaux (2). The trail follows a half-buried pipe. Come to a fork, turn right. On your right, a small reservoir. Reach a junction of paths with ring markers.
Cut off the road and take the path opposite in the direction of Dolmen / Pic Neulos / Col de l'Ullat. To the left of the road is the end of the irrigation canal you need to follow to a strategic intersection of paths (the stream of water can be heard below). Take a right on the path down to the river. Cross the ford over the stream, go up to reach a paved road.
(3) Turn left towards Les Deux Fontaines. Do not stray onto private property. The paved road gives way to a trail that climbs through several turns, pass by a trail to the left and reach the 4th pin. Follow the Yellow markings to an intersection.
(4) Turn right on the trail. 150 m further on, pass the track on the left and go straight to the Font Dels Simiots (5).
Retrace your steps and leave the track to take the path on the right indicated by a sign that reads "Les 2 Fontaines”. The trail rises steeply towards the east. Follow the edge with a superb view over the plains and sea.
(6) At the intersection of trails, take the route opposite in the direction of Fontaine de la Vernosa. Follow the path and go through Fontaine de la Vernosa (7) (sign indicating a water point). Continue until you reach a track (picnic table just above). Head down the track on the left towards the plains for nearly two kilometres. Pass by a trail to the left, go ten metres on the track and take the small path on the right and continue to go down. Find the intersection of tracks below passed on the outbound journey.
(4) Follow the trail along the outbound path as far as the paved road.
(3) To the left of the ruins of the Chapel of Roca Vella, continue on the road towards the village, passing by the streets to the left to the Sant Sebastia chapel that was recently restored.
(8) Take Chemin de la Florentine to the right that leads you from the beautiful garden to the old village.
Turn right on Rue du Château as far as the church.
(1) Go back down to the left towards the tourist office by the outbound path (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 105m
1 : km 0.29 - alt. 123m - Church
2 : km 0.45 - alt. 147m - Font dels Ocells
3 : km 1.49 - alt. 180m - Paved road
4 : km 2.08 - alt. 266m - Intersection of tracks
5 : km 3.36 - alt. 359m - Font dels Simiots
6 : km 4.17 - alt. 491m - Intersection of the trails
7 : km 5.42 - alt. 453m - Font la Vernosa
8 : km 9.44 - alt. 114m - Turn right on Chemin de la Florentine
D/A : km 10.12 - alt. 105m
Water point at the Fontaine aux Oiseaux.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.