La Rance saw its first tidal mill built in 1181 (Moulin du Lupin near Rothéneuf). Were built between the sixteenth and seventeenth century. Today there are not many of these renewable energy suppliers. This tour allows you to see the ruins of two mills (Fosse Mort and La Herviais) and to walk around this estuary ideal for the construction of mills.
Technical sheet No. 4098887
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 15.33 km
Vertical gain : 201 m
Vertical drop : 204 m
Highest point : 64 m
Lowest point : 0 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Location : Le Minihic-sur-Rance (35870)
Starting point : N 48.575384° / W 2.013919°
Park at Minihic-sur-Rance, in the small car park in Place Thomas Boursin.
(S/F) Leaving the car park, turn left towards the church and go around it on the left. Turn right, cross the garden behind the town hall and then take the road to the right towards the camp site. This road BENDS to the left and down to the edge of La Rance.
(1) Climb the steps to the right and follow the GR (bird observatory shortly after). Before the port, the ruins of the Fosse Mort mill. Cross the dry dock of the Grand Val, get on the D114 road and, a few metres further, take the GR left and continue up to a wooden bridge.
(2) After the wooden bridge, turn left and continue on the GR to Langrolay.
(3) Take a small road branching off to the left. Below, on the shore, you can see the remains of the Moulin La Herviais. 150 m further on, keep right on a trail at the edge of the field down into the wood by the steps.
(4) At the road, climb into in the woods to continue following the GR. After a fence on your left made of wooden posts and branches, you can go back to a pristine marine trail on the banks. It is narrow, poorly maintained and steep.
Back on the GR, you will alternate between sections in the undergrowth and the edges of fields leading to a road.
(5) Cross the road, continue on the right, first on a wide stone path and then a path.
(6) At the corner of the field, cross the wooden bridge on the left and go opposite on the trail that goes into the woods on the Monplaisir circuit. Follow the yellow arrows of the circuit to the road. Turn to the left.
(7) Go down the right path in the wrong direction to the Rance. Turn left and follow the Monplaisir circuit until a wooden bridge already used.
(6) Head back across the bridge and up the field opposite to town. At the roundabout, turn left, go past the station and continue to the D12.
(8) At the junction, continue straight on the D28, leave when it makes a left turn and go straight. Head towards La Bourgaudière. At the corner of an orchard, turn right and follow the yellow markings to the D12. Head along the road for 150 m.
(9) Turn left and continue on the path. At Bourgaudière, pass the house with wood siding gable, pass by the road to the left, past a greenhouse on the left (10). Take the path to the right of the entrance of the field: it turns right and goes straight along the wooded valley.
(11) Arrive at the D12, turn left and cross opposite the Saint-Buc chapel, go around by the path that leads up to a road. Continue to the right then, at the junction, turn left into the Rue des Champs.
(12) When you see the shipyard, turn left on the road. At stop sign, turn right and continue on the narrow path between the hedges. At the road, turn right, then take the first left, on Rue de la Haute Rabinais. Finally, turn right into Rue des Vallées. Continue between the two fields, over two wooden bridges and follow the path along the stream. Turn left on Rue des Adriais and reach a crossroads.
(13) At the road, turn left, after the big pine, to take the small path marked "Le Bourg".
(14) After the washhouse, turn right and go up towards the town. Turn right into the Rue du Pron leading to the square and the car park at the start (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 35 m
1 : km 0.64 - alt. 8 m - At the edge of Rance, turn right - Rance (fleuve)
2 : km 2.57 - alt. 18 m - Left after the wooden bridge
3 : km 2.77 - alt. 16 m - Turn left on the road
4 : km 4.2 - alt. 11 m - Grève de Morlet - road
5 : km 5.21 - alt. 8 m - To Roue beach
6 : km 5.76 - alt. 21 m - Bridge
7 : km 6.5 - alt. 49 m - Viewpoint, manor hotel
8 : km 9.28 - alt. 50 m - At the junction, continue straight on the D28
9 : km 10.41 - alt. 53 m - Path is sometimes wet
10 : km 11.45 - alt. 55 m - Turn right into the wooded valley
11 : km 12.52 - alt. 31 m - We can go around the chapel
12 : km 13.15 - alt. 21 m - Viewpoint over the construction site and the Rance
13 : km 14.53 - alt. 17 m - Keep left of the D114
14 : km 14.93 - alt. 28 m - Guérouse fountain and washhouse
D/A : km 15.33 - alt. 34 m
To get there: N176 exit D366 Langrolay-sur-Rance, then D12 towards Langrolay-sur-Rance and Minihic-sur-Rance.
In the village: Toilet, sink, water; bakery, bar, restaurant, shops, camping.
Alternative route at point (4), At low tide you can go along the shore as far as the Virgin Mary, and then up through the narrow path to return to the GR34.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
To see during the hike: ruins of mills, shipyards, bird observatory, washhouse, panoramic views.
What to do nearby: Emerald cycling route on the banks of Rance, 37 km, the Rance dam, tidal museum,
Pirate city of Saint Malo.
Other walks in the area
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.