Climb the cliffs, enjoy the Fréfossé Château, go on a pebble beach away from onlookers, discover the small valleys of the Pays de Caux...
This is on the menu of this short hike.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Leave from car park of the Etretat beach.
(D/A) Go left as you face the sea and climb the Falaise d'Aval via the staircase. Walk along the cliff and the golf course on the GR21 (red and white markers). You'll pass a treatment plant and then a sign introducing natural site of the Valleuse d'Antifer.
(1) Descend on the steepest trail, just opposite and the closest to the cliff.
At the bottom of this trail you can make a detour to the right to see the beach.
(2) Climb back up the Valleuse to the left, gradually becoming a wide tarmac track.
After about 800 meters, in the forested area, by a concrete pipe that passes through an intersection, turn to the left on a path to climb back on the plateau. A little higher up, ignore the tarmac path on the right. You're back on the plateau, opposite the hamlet of Valaine.
At the intersection of five paths, turn right to get to the foot of the water tower.
Here you'll find the red and white route markers of the GR21. On this path through fields you can see the Château de Fréfossé to your left. After walking for almost 1km, you'll reach a copse, on a small asphalt road.
(4) Turn left. Cross the D940 (be careful, there is a lot of traffic). Immediately after, ignore the Chemin du Bocage on the right-hand-side and continue straight on the Rue du Presbytère. Follow this road which turns right, then left, and then right again.
(5) At the intersection, descend left on the Route de la Guézanne which is forested.
(6) When you exit the wood, 100 meters before arriving on the D39 and by a property on the right, take the Chemin des Haules on the left which circulates through fields and then leads to a street (Rue René Tonnenot, then Rue des Ecoles). Keep going straight, ignoring perpendicular roads.
(7) Take the first street which is on your left before the stadium (Chemin des Haules) to go around it. Then continue straight on to the D940. Cross this road, which is the main road in and out of Etretat. Take the Rue Anicet Bourgeois opposite then turn left on the Rue de Traz Perier to reach the start-point car park(D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 1.91 - alt. km 1.91 - The Valleuse d'Antifer natural site display
2 : km 2.25 - alt. km 2.25 - Left in the Valleuse
3 : km 3.93 - alt. km 3.93 - Intersection of 5 paths
4 : km 4.89 - alt. km 4.89 - Left
5 : km 5.77 - alt. km 5.77 - Left, Route de la Guézanne
6 : km 6.73 - alt. km 6.73 - Left, Chemin des Haules
7 : km 7.75 - alt. km 7.75 - Left, Chemin des Haules
D/A : km 8.58 - alt. km 8.58
Be careful of the wind on the cliffs!
To descend in the Valleuse de l'Antifer, this is another less-steep path. Best on wet days!
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 1710ET.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Global average : 4/5
Number of opinions : 1
Description quality : 3/5
Routemap quality : 4/5
Walk interest : 5/5
Global average : 4 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Average
Routemap quality : Good
Walk interest : Very good
A most enjoyable walk, if a little strenuous at times, particularly under a hot sun. Great views of Etretat and the coastline. Some interesting houses inland.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.