Nice walk between the wild and steep ridge of the Alpilles and the plains of Romanin.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(S) Departure from the Antiques of Glanum car park in Saint Rémy de Provence.
Please note, paying car park from 10 am to 6 pm: €2.70 (May 2014).
(1) From the car park, cross the D5, then down to the left towards Saint Rémy for 100 metres.
After the bridge, turn right in the direction of "Egalières" and pass the Cloister Saint Paul de Mausole. Follow the signs for the GR6 (Red and White) by Chemin des Carrières up to a chapel.
(2) A sign for Saint Clerg indicates a right turn uphill. Pass the ancient site of Glanum and follow the valley on the trail to a small road in the hills.
(3) Turn left and continue this road that goes to the telecommunications tower. At a water tank, pass the track off to the right, then the left.
(4) A few metres from the Signal de la Caume, pass the GR6 that goes left to Gaudre de Valrugue.
Continue along this marked GR dirt road, past the tower.
Before the geodesic monument, turn right to reach the trail in front of a sign (protected area).
Follow the ridge to the left via the GR6. After some rocky passages, head down to the south side of the Alpilles.
The GR6 passes between the rocks in a forest, to the Col de Vallongue (narrow rocky path).
(5) Go down to the left of rocks and scree up through undergrowth, to get on a path and return GR653D.
(6) Turn left along the airfield, cross a barrier, leave the track left the Romanin cave.
’’No more markings''
(7) When the road makes a 90° turn to the right, pass by the markings to the right. Pass the fence on the right, do not take the path that goes left, but find a path along the the right. It meets up with the path and continues straight ahead. Allow the next road to pass by on the right and continue to a junction (138).
(8) Pass the paths right and left and take the path that starts ahead behind a metal sign.
Cut up a first path and continue until you find another path. Cut through again and continue ahead on a small path that goes up and out of the woods and leads to a large open space.
(9) Head across the path again and go straight ahead on the short path; 50 m away, pass the right-hand path and take the path on the left at a right angle to the Alpilles.
100 m on, it turns right and comes to a fork. Continue on the left path up. After an overgrown part at a field, pass by the path on the right and go left on a path that becomes wider.
This path runs along the foot of the Alpilles for about 800 m up to a crossroad (the start of the trail of Gaudre de Valrugue; GR6).
(10) Continue along the same road for a little over a kilometre to reach the site of Glanum. Turn right on the yellow marked path to find the chapel passed on the way in.
(2) Turn left and walk the same path as on the way to return to the car park (1)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 106m - Antiques de Glanum car park. Start. - Site de Glanum
1 : km 0.44 - alt. 109m - Chapel. Fork to the right.
2 : km 2.55 - alt. 275m - Intersection with a small road. Turn left.
3 : km 3.36 - alt. 288m - With fork Leave the GR6.
4 : km 8.36 - alt. 261m - Col de Vallongue.
5 : km 8.88 - alt. 136m - Junction with the GR653D. Turn left.
6 : km 9.55 - alt. 140m - In the turn leave the marked path
7 : km 10.76 - alt. 138m - Continue straight ahead
8 : km 11.46 - alt. 145m - Continue straight ahead
9 : km 13.22 - alt. 147m - Continue straight ahead
D/A : km 15.48 - alt. 106m - Site de Glanum
Continue straight ahead
Some rocky passages that require caution in wet weather.
At point (7) you may continue right on GR653D to meet with point (2) on the circuit.
This section is well marked.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3042OT, 3043OT.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Starting from the site of the Antiques de Glanum, a beautiful climb in the valley of Saint Clerg, which serves as a botanical trail, up to the ridges and back down to Lake Peiroou or Peirou, on the IGN map.
N.B.!: the short technical part with cables and some metal steps fixed into the rock that allows you to cross the rock above Lake Peiroou has been temporarily closed for safety reasons.
At the heart of the Alpilles Regional Nature Reserve, a small easy hike on good paths. The route takes you to the picturesque Rock with Two Holes painted by Van Gogh during his stay in Saint-Paul de Mausole from May 1889 to May 1890. It offers vast panoramic views over the two slopes of the Alpilles. To the south, in clear weather the view stretches to the Mediterranean, to the north over the Montagnette, the Gard, the Mont Ventoux, etc.
Starting from Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, a beautiful walk along large, clearly-marked, shady trails. Beautiful viewpoints over the Alpilles, the village and the château des Baux-de-Provence.
The fragrant plants of the South and also pines and even cedars.
A ridge walk starting off the beaten track, with views over the south of the Alpilles. A climb through an almost untouched valley to join the ridge trail, offering panoramic views of the north.
A circuit on the north slope of the Alpilles on good tracks nice, overlooking cross-shaded valleys and ridges that offer views on all sides of the Alpilles. The view goes far beyond this. The tour starts with a track which “keeps its cards close to its chest”. Apart from the return by the GR 6, you will meet few if any other people on this route that is far off the beaten track.
A short hike around Baux-de-Provence, mostly on good trails. There is a short climb down a well-maintained rocky path. 360° views at the viewpoint (or what remains of it). The Baux cover "every angle" with many panoramic views. Return via the village with the option to pay it a visit.
A walk in the Alpilles on good paths, mostly through forest. This circuit goes through several gaudres (small valleys that channel rain-water): La Pistolle, Valmouriane, Bovis and Marchandon. You can also see one of the waterfalls of the Canal des Alpines.
A hike in the Alpilles along good paths. A varied landscape ranging from pine forest to Mediterranean scrubland with fine views over the hills and valleys.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.