Sophie long circular walk, Maripa-Soula
Sophie long circular walk will bring you along some gravel roads/tracks through 'abattis' (jungle farmlands). Then you will come back nearby the local airport and via Daouda creek for a little swim.
Technical sheet No. 23219748
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 11.77 km
Vertical gain : 76 m
Vertical drop : 81 m
Highest point : 151 m
Lowest point : 97 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Location : Maripasoula (97370)
Starting point : N 3.643884° / W 54.031364°
(D/A) From the water tower, in Maripa-Soula center, walk downhill towards the Maroni river along Difou Passi Street (East). This paved road will become 'Route de Sophie'. When you are down the road, enjoy the views on the Maroni river and the pirogues boats going to the Surinam. Then, carry straight on uphill on 'Route de Sophie' past houses. Do not worry, the walk is quite long until you reach a second junction at Village Machine.
(1) When you get to the junction with an unpaved road/track, go left (North). On the way, ignore the track going to your left and carry straight on North.
(2) When you get to another obvious track junction, carry-on straight (North-East). You will pass at this junction again on your way back. This is also a shortcut to enjoy a smaller walk to Daouda creek. Otherwise, carry straight on this track that is going up and down for around 3KM. Ignore the small tracks coming from left and right as they access private farmlands. (Abbatis) Sometimes you can enjoy views of pineapple fields.
(3) Around 3KM later you will reach an obvious junction with a 'carbet' in front of you on the hill. Keep left here (West) where the track curves left.
(4) After a while, when you reach another junction past a farm, you have the choice to go straight have a swim into Daouda creek and come back to this junction or you can turn left (South-East) now.
(5) When you are at the creek, if you carry straight on from the creek, you will reach the track going to Maripa-Soula small airport - Papaïchton. Otherwise, come back to the previous junction and turn right.
(6) the track goes downhill to cross the creek into the trees. Continue straight uphill. At the end of this track, you will reach the junction you were at the waypoint(2). Sometimes this part can be flooded. At the junction, turn right following the track you can from to go back to the tarmacked road in Village Machine.
(7) Walk back on Sophie road towards Maripa center. On your way, when you spot a car wash on your right (just before going downhill), turn right downhill just after it.
(8) This track goes down and up in between houses. Do not worry, that is normal to walk in people's gardens. Just stay polite, and respect people's intimacy when you reach the paved road. This road is going to Maripa small airport on your right.
(9) Turn left here on the pavement. You can spot from here the water tower and fire station. Walk towards the water tower back to your starting point on your left. (D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 116 m - Maripa water tower
1 : km 1.33 - alt. 118 m - Village Machine
2 : km 2.37 - alt. 115 m - Junction short cut
3 : km 5.82 - alt. 132 m - Junction - Abbatis
4 : km 8.55 - alt. 112 m - Farm
5 : km 8.7 - alt. 107 m - Daouda Creek
6 : km 9.12 - alt. 113 m - Creek downhill
7 : km 11.14 - alt. 115 m - Sophie street car wash
8 : km 11.44 - alt. 109 m - Private gardens
9 : km 11.57 - alt. 107 m - Paved road
D/A : km 11.77 - alt. 114 m - Maripa water tower
- Bring water with you as the track doesn't have a lot of shade.
- Bring binoculars to observe the wildlife
- Do not enter the farmlands / abbatis without being with a guide
- You can rent a bike or go on a guided tour by asking the Visitor center.
For more information contact l'Office de Tourisme de l'Ouest Guyanais. or firstname.lastname@example.org
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
- Naturalist guided walks and naturalist guided walks are available on demand at the Visitor Centre.
Other walks in the area
Grande boucle de Sophie, Maripa-Soula
Starting point in Maripasoula (French Guyana)
La grande boucle de Sophie vous amène le long des pistes à travers les abattis, en revenant par l'aérodrome et la Crique Daouda pour un petit rafraîchissement.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.