A circular walk along the river via Kinder Reservoir and the Snake Path.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the front door of The Sportsmann Inn, turn left. Follow Kinder Road for 500 yards to Bowden Bridge car park.
(1) Continue along the road ahead for a further half-mile to the sheepwash. Go through the gates ahead of you and continue along the reservoir road (if the gates are locked, use the footpath on the opposite side of the river, then turn left over a footbridge to reach the reservoir entrance).
(2) Take the stone-pitched footpath to the left of the reservoir gates. At the top of the hill, just before an information panel marking the reservoir’s centenary, turn left (signposted “BRIDLEWAY”).
Follow the path alongside the wall to a gate at the top. Bear left then right across the open moor to a junction of paths below the shooting cabin.
(3) Turn left (signposted “Hayfield 11⁄2 miles”). Follow the obvious path through the heather to a National Trust sign for the Snake Path. Go through the kissing gate and follow the track across rough grazing land.
After a stretch alongside a wall, go through a gate and cross the field (South - West), aiming for the treetops of Twenty Trees. Follow the wall and then go through a kissing gate on your right, above the clump of trees.
(4) Bear left past the trees to a further kissing gate and commemorative sign. Descend along the bottom of the next field to a gate and stile. Follow the track beyond, which bends left to join a concrete drive and leads down to the Kinder Road.
(5) Turn left and follow the road for quarter of a mile back to The Sportsmann Inn. (D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 227m - The Sportsmann Inn
1 : km 0.56 - alt. 231m - Reservoir road
2 : km 1.68 - alt. 255m - Reservoir gates - Shooting cabin
3 : km 2.44 - alt. 360m - Snake Path
4 : km 3.95 - alt. 286m - Twenty Trees
5 : km 4.4 - alt. 216m - Kinder Road
D/A : km 4.78 - alt. 227m - The Sportsmann Inn
Exposed moorland: avoid in bad weather. One moderate climb and descent; some rocky and boggy ground.
Pdf link : http://walksfromthedoor.co.uk/i/walks/De...
The Sportsmann Inn
Kinder Road, Hayfield,
Derbyshire SK22 2LE
Tel 01663 741565
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
An easy circular walk along the River Sett via Hill Houses and Booth Farm.
A circular walk exploring the Kinder Scout plateau via Kinder Reservoir.
A circular walk along the river and the Kinder Reservoir.
Starting from Hayfield, Derbyshire, this Peak District walk visits Kinder Downfall. Starting from the point where the Mass Trespass began, the route uses William Clough to reach the plateau. Descent is via Kinder Low and Edale Cross back to the start.
Kinder Low and Mount Famine are combined in this Peak District walk from Hayfield. This circuit on the western edges of the Kinder Scout plateau concentrates on these interesting outliers, which despite their modest height, offer good views and pleasant walking.
Wide views, heather moorland, and the pretty hamlet of Little Hayfield.
A classic gritstone hike, climbing to the Kinder plateau and Derbyshire’s tallest waterfall.
A scenic and relatively low-level walk below the gritstone edge of Kinder Scout, using permitted paths and rights-of-way to circumnavigate Kinder Reservoir.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.