Superb hike for passing a lovely afternoon and enjoying an evening in old San Sebastien, eating tapas and pintxos.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
On this route, you will follow the GR®121 (Red and White waymarking). To get to the departure point, take the train called "El Topo" ("The Mole") from Hendaye station and get off at Pasaia station.
(1) On exiting the station, turn left onto the road which goes alongside the national railway and the port where you will find a small bridge on your right. At the bottom of the car park, turn right in the direction of the port (up till now, the terrain isn't too bad). At the port, go along the quayside and pass in front of the Traineras Club. You will arrive at the expo-museum.
(2) Continue on along the quayside until you reach a path on the left (at the end) with steps taking you up to the top of the cliffs. Go past a picnic area, a beautiful viewpoint over Pasaia bay. Continue along the path which goes through a small wood and takes you to Faro de la Plata (lighthouse).
(3) Take the path on the left, sign post for the GR®121. Follow the path along the cliffs and through the woods. You can then stop on the wooden balcony to admire the superb view. Retrace your steps and take the stone path climbing upwards. You are still following the path through the hydrangeas. You will end up above San Sebastien beach.
(4) Make a short stop to take photos. Lower down, take the signposted path on the right which goes downhill towards the "Gros" (big) district of San Sebastian lower down. Note the ancient old building.
(5) Head to the right until you reach San Sebastien beach. Go along the beach until you reach Kursal.
(6) Cross over the bridge. On your right, go into old San Sebastien. You can linger in these streets a while to enjoy the tapas and pintxos bars and the festive atmosphere of this beautiful location. Continue on towards the Town Hall square.
(7) You will reach Concha beach. Continue straight ahead towards Amara station.
(8) Take the Topo train again which takes you back to Hendaye.
D : km 0 - alt. 3m - Pasaia station
1 : km 3.22 - alt. 12m - Expo museum
2 : km 4.38 - alt. 115m - Faro de plata (lighthouse)
3 : km 8.7 - alt. 107m - Viewpoint over San Sebastien Bay
4 : km 9.23 - alt. 18m - Old house
5 : km 10.26 - alt. 5m - Kursaal
6 : km 10.87 - alt. 6m - Town Hall
A : km 11.96 - alt. 6m - Amara station
Be sure to take warm clothes in case of strong winds on the cliffs.
Topo train timetable
Take around €4.60 for the Topo return train fare.
San Sebastien Tourism Office
San Sebastian T.O.: http://www.sansebastianturismo.com/fr/qu...
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Pasaia port and its Traineras regattas.
Museum exhibition, construction of a replica whaleboat.
Pintxos and tapas in old San Sebastien at the end of the hike.
San Sebastien Aquarium.
Visit the town and Concha beach.
To see: the Place de la Constitution at the end of the afternoon.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.