There are many pedestrian paths to discover in Mervent forest.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park in the large car park at the Valley bridge in Mervent.
(D/A) Cross the D99 road (take care) and go along the lake to the west for 300m.
(1) Turn right and climb the path until you reach the D99A road in front of the wooden cabin.
(2) Go along the left-hand side of the two picnic tables and take the path on the right going between 2 wooden blocks. Follow this path straight on until you reach a forest path, turn right and go along the meadow.
(3) At the fork, continue straight ahead on the path, going in front of a fishermen's hut and a lake on the right.
(4) Turn left onto the tarmacked road and then take the white path which follows it and continue on for 1.5km.
(5) On arriving at the Levrette ford, turn left to follow the GR®364 (White and Red waymarking), going along the Verreries river. Stay on the right-hand bank.
(6) A bit before Pont du Déluge, the path climbs again towards the D99a road. Cross over the road. Further along the parapet, there are steps going down to the right. Follow along the river, staying on the right-hand bank, until you end up close to a small wooden bridge on the left.
(7) Cross over the bridge to change river banks and then turn right, following the path which goes along the river and lake. Stay on the lakeside, ignoring the paths leading off on the left.
(1) Continue straight ahead along the lake shores until you return to the car park (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 51m
1 : km 0.36 - alt. 48m - Leave the lake and climb the path.
2 : km 0.92 - alt. 97m - D99a - Cabin
3 : km 1.5 - alt. 89m - Forest path, go straight on.
4 : km 1.79 - alt. 79m - Tarmacked road, château on the right.
5 : km 3.37 - alt. 64m - Levrette ford, follow the GR on the left.
6 : km 4.21 - alt. 60m - Pont du Déluge (bridge)
7 : km 4.58 - alt. 48m - Small wooden bridge
D/A : km 7.02 - alt. 51m
(4) Access Citardière Château by turning right.
The section between points (4) and (5) is less interesting. The land clearing has transformed a part of the countryside.
Picnic tables and an open hut at point (2).
No water point.
Hunting days from 15 September to 31 March. Check the ONF website: www.onf.fr
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Citardière Château: http://www.mervent.fr/annuaire-de-la-com... (see infos OT)
Several paths are often not very well marked.
Pierre Brune amusement park.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.