A walk through Forez on waymarked trails.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Coming from Saint-Marcellin-en-Forez, take a left onto route de Périgneux after La Roche junction on the D498, then another left, parking your car on La Roche old station esplanade.
(S/F) Follow the "aventure du rail" trail uphill to Estivarelle heading south-south-east.
(1) Cross the D105 at Marieux station and follow the "aventure du rail" trail until the "chemins de Sommériecq" crossing.
(2) A signpost indicates Nus which you'll follow to your right. At the top of the small hill, cross the D498 taking the path opposite slightly to the left, reaching the entrance of Nus. Head off to the left and continue until a crossing.
(3) Head up the road to the right.
(4) 50 m into the D498, a signpost indicates Lévitant. Take the path to your left which crosses the "ruisseau des Gros" (stream) arriving at Lévitant hamlet.
(5) Take the road to your left over 300 m leading to Vérines.
(6) Behind the bush, turn right onto the trail leading to the place called "Le Mont". Keep going until "La Roche".
(7) Take a right onto the road reaching the D498. In front of the restaurant, cross the road to get back to the starting point (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 560m
1 : km 1.81 - alt. 594m - Marieux station
2 : km 5.57 - alt. 641m - Sommeriecq, path crossing
3 : km 6.33 - alt. 645m - Nus, head right
4 : km 6.48 - alt. 652m - Nus, leave the road, take the path to the left
5 : km 8.03 - alt. 605m - Lévitant, take the road on the left
6 : km 8.37 - alt. 594m - Head right towards "le Mont"
7 : km 9.62 - alt. 559m - La Roche, take a right
D/A : km 10.1 - alt. 560m
The path goes up and downhill between (4) and (5), with water flow along the way.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2833E, 2833O.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
An open-to-the-sky Sunday stroll in the sun Canal du Forez.
Rochebaron Castle is the emblematic site in the Bas-en-Basset and Monistrol-sur-Loire area.
Beautiful views, first over the Loire and, on the return journey, over the Meygal massif.
Family-friendly walk in the hills of Saint-Héand among the horses and cows.
Beautiful route along the ridges around the village of Fontanès. Free parking in the castle grounds.
A circuit primarily on small paved and sunny roads.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.