A nice trip around Loch Affric near Inverness. Not at all difficult and with some beautiful landscapes.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park at the picnic site car park at the end of the road.
(S/F) Head down below the car park and cross the bridge. Skip the large wooden door closed with a non-padlocked chain. Take a wide forest road. Reach the crossroads.
(1) Continue on the right heading in the direction of the "Affric Kintail Way". Loch Affric is on the right; arrive at the end of Loch where on the other side to the right stands the Affric Lodge.
(2) Continue on this track and then follow the banks of Loch Affric and reach its western end.
(3) At the junction, take the path on the right and follow the path along the River Affric. Reach the bridge.
(4) Take it to cross River Affric. Reach a new branch of the path at a place called Cnoc Fada.
(5) Take the path on the right, leaving the "Affric Kintail Way". Heading north-east, follow the banks of Loch Coulavie at first, then reach the Chur Leachavie stream.
(6) Continue by crossing the wooden bridge. Now go along the left bank of Loch Affric.
Pass above the Affric Lodge, which can be seen on the right, and reach the crossroads with a small road.
(7) Leave the footpath for this more well-maintained road leading to the Affric Lodge.
Continue on this gentle path and eventually reach the starting point and car park (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.45 - alt. km 0.45 - In the direction of "Affric Kintail Way"
2 : km 1.68 - alt. km 1.68 - View over the buildings of the Affric Lodge
3 : km 7.35 - alt. km 7.35 - West shore of Loch Affric
4 : km 8.08 - alt. km 8.08 - Bridge over River Affric
5 : km 8.71 - alt. km 8.71 - Leave the "Affric Kintail Way"
6 : km 11.78 - alt. km 11.78 - Wooden bridge
7 : km 15.76 - alt. km 15.76 - Affric Lodge
D/A : km 17.5 - alt. km 17.5
No particular difficulty except perhaps the length of the hike.
Bring warm clothes as the cold wind can rise very quickly.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.