(S/E)Walk down High Street to reach a broad left turn public footpath, signed Easton Royal 1 mile. This is a broad track leading past Milton Stud. Pass fields of horses. At a path junction, carry straight on. When almost at Easton Royal, ignore the drive turning right to a farm. More or less straight on you will see a narrow path with stiles and gates. Follow it as it curves right past a garden, then comes into the churchyard. Follow it to the left of the church to reach the road and turn right.
(1) Walk south until out of the village. Once you reach a track junction turn right then shortly left. Follow the track uphill. Soon the broad track becomes private and a narrow footpath is signed to the right.
Take this as it continues straight on. At one point it looks as if the track bears slightly right.
(2) Instead go through a broad gap in the hedge on left and the path goes diagonally across the field to a patch of woodland. On reaching a lane, take a broad track straight on through the woodland. Pass 2 turnings to the right. Then past some woodland on the left, look out on the left for a farm set back from the track.
(3) You reach a junction take the track to right opposite the track to farm buildings. When this reaches woodland, ignore a right turn. Soon reach a fence and turn left, with views over Pewsey Vale opening up. Shortly reach a walker’s gate on the right which leads to a long barrow called Giant’s Grave.
(4) There are wonderful views from here and in spring many spring flowers including early purple orchids. From here retrace steps on barrow side of the fence, with the views of the valley on the left, and woodland on your right. Keep straight on through a gate. Path bears slightly right to follow woodland. When the woodland ends, you reach a path crossing. Turn left on a broad grassy path following right-hand field edge. Shortly the path goes right and immediately resumes the straight on the route. Views over the valley open up.
(5) Go through a gate and start the descent following a barbed wire fence on the right. Soon the fence goes right. You continue to follow it, with the hill dropping away steeply on the left. Soon follow the path as it drops down steeply diagonally to the left towards farm buildings. At the bottom bear left on an indistinct path to reach the field gate. Go through this and a farmyard to reach an unsurfaced lane. At a crossroads bear slightly right to go straight on. On passing a white house on the right, join a road and carry straight on.
(6) Continue into Milton Lilbourne, enjoying this pretty village, to finish the walk. (S/E)