From the beach of Cap Coz at Pointe de Beg Meil by the coastal path and via new a development on properties that have encroached into the maritime domain.
Discover the semaphore tower and the national dune and then head back by an easier route by small roads and paths that are a little out of the way.
Technical sheet No. 4098436
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 10.05 km
Vertical gain : 50 m
Vertical drop : 42 m
Highest point : 34 m
Lowest point : 2 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Location : Fouesnant (29170)
Starting point : N 47.88104° / W 3.993418°
Access: From Fouesnant, follow the D45 in the direction of Beg Meil. At the roundabout signposted for Cap Coz, turn left. The car park is on the right, about 300 m before the beach.
(S/F) From the car park, follow the road down to the beach. After about 300 m, turn right to join the coastal path.
GR34 markings: White and Red
(1) The beginning of the GR is signposted. Follow this path overlooking the sea. On the left, you will have a beautiful view on the beach of Cap Coz. Continue on this path that winds between old pine trees on the right and along beautiful properties. Go past the small beach at Bot Conan where you to need to head down to the beach and then on to Lantecost beach after passing an old kiost ( "beach pavilion" of Bot Conan Castle). Cross this small beach and climb about 200 m to the car park.
GR34 markings: White and Red + Yellow markings
(2) Turn left and continue along the coastal path. Continue around the Roche Percée and reach Kerveltrec beach where you have to go down a staircase carved into the rock (3) then go a step further to an old bathing cabin built of stone. The trail continues between beautiful properties on the right and a view of the bottom of the bay with the harbour entrance of Forêt-Fouesnant.
(4) Reach the next wooden staircase down to the beach then go up the path that skirts the property of Lanroz. Continue following the signs as the road winds through different houses to reach Chemin de la Cale.
(5) Continue down for a few metres then turn right on Chemin Creux; follow this to the road to Plage des Oiseaux on the left.
(6) Then you no longer have a choice. You enter the newly developed section: a band of about 1.40 m will take you along the sea enclosed by tall fences.
(7) Use this to reach the point where the semaphore is. Along the way are some views over the sea and, on the right, of the beautiful properties neaby. Continue west on this path along the Plage des Dunes and then the Dunes Domaniale of Beg Meil with its pines. Find the beginning of Kermil beach.
(8) Leave the GR that continues along the beachfront and veer right heading north. Pass the first roundabout and follow the small road called Chemin de Kerlosquen. Continue ignoring the streets and alleys on the right and left.
After a camping site, at the fork, veer left into the Chemin de Kerdero extending into Chemin de Hent Galzadeg.
(9) Turn left onto Chemin Vinogen Louarn (fox alley). Reach Chemin de Kerprigent that continues onto a grassy, tree-lined path. At the end, turn right onto the D45 and follow it to the left via the bike path for about 250 m.
(10) Cross at the pedestrian crossing and continue opposite, then turn left at the first street. At the intersection, turn right into the road down to the beach.
(11) At the fork, turn left and follow the wide path along the land around Chateau de Bot Conan dating from 1899. Continue along the organic kiwi fruit orchards.
At a place called Kerscolper, continue straight along a camping site on the left and reach Descent de Bellevue where the car park is located (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 26 m
1 : km 0.34 - alt. 14 m - Start of coastal path GR34
2 : km 1.92 - alt. 11 m - Beginning of the part marked in Yellow
3 : km 2.2 - alt. 9 m - Staircase carved in the rock
4 : km 2.9 - alt. 4 m - Wooden staircase
5 : km 3.6 - alt. 14 m - Down to the dock
6 : km 4.3 - alt. 9 m - New development
7 : km 5.06 - alt. 7 m - Pointe de Beg Meil and its semaphore tower
8 : km 6.14 - alt. 7 m - End of the GR and coastal path
9 : km 7.28 - alt. 17 m - Grassy path
10 : km 8.04 - alt. 27 m - Crossing the D45
11 : km 8.74 - alt. 17 m - Wide path left to Bot Conan
D/A : km 10.05 - alt. 26 m
After the Plage des Oiseaux, the route follows a new development: a band about 1.40 m wide on private property that encroached on the maritime domain. This struggle lasted nearly 40 years.
Before this development, you had to go through the rocks at the bottom of the cliff provided that the tide was low.
This circuit is classified as medium as the coastal path requires hikers to take the stairs a few times to go to the beach.
Avoid this circuit on a Sunday as the coastline is usually busy.
This circuit can be combined with the "Around the Cap Coz through the Penfoulic woods and marsh" for a total of about 18 km.
NB: The recent storms have disturbed the new development.
As a precaution, ask at the Tourist Office of Fouesnant Tel.: +33 (0)2 98 51 18 88 - Fax +33 (0)2 98 56 64 02
or at the town hall: Email: email@example.com
Tel. +33 (0)2 98 51 62 62
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
Beg Meil: under the section "Balades en bordure de mer" you will find instructions and images showing where to go in the newly developped section of the hike.
Many beaches and sandy coves.
Opinions and comments
Global average : 4.33/5
Number of opinions : 1
Clarity of route description : 4/5
Clarity of route map : 5/5
Walk interest : 4/5
Global average : 4.33 / 5
Date of walk
Clarity of route description : ★★★★☆ Good
Clarity of route map : ★★★★★ Very good
Walk interest : ★★★★☆ Good
It's a pleasant start to walking in the region but other parts of the coast are more dramatic. Fun to see the large properties though.
Other walks in the area
Circuit of the Canal and Stang Luzigou
Starting point in Ergué-Gabéric (29 - Finistère)
After skirting the Odet and the reaching of the old mills, a beautiful loop takes us through the wooded area of Stang Luzigou. On the return journey, pass through the Kerho Arboretum.
Discover the Saint-Corentin Chapel in the area known as Kreïker.
Hike around the St. Alouarn mill
Starting point in Guengat (29 - Finistère)
Discover the remains of the Manor of Saint-Alouarn and the mill, via the Quimper-Douarnenez bike route and country roads.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.