This Lincolnshire walk visits two villages with an array of interesting things to see including a statue to George III and a sculpture of a cow made by children from old farm implements.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A)From the inn, walk through Dunston village to the church. Bear left across the road to the village hall to see the George III statue. Return to St Peter's and go along Vicarage Lane, to the left of the church, and at Back Lane turn left uphill past the cemetery. At a footpath sign bear right through the Nocton Estates farmyard, having with a large building to your left until you reach a new office block. Keep to the right of that along a grass bank (there is a waymark) past a green warehouse to a second waymark. Now cross a site road and past another warehouse and further waymarks, eventually joining a lane at a vehicle barrier.
(1)Follow the lane and at a lodge take the estate road on the right, walking down to a 4-way footpath sign at a junction with a bridleway and a Nocton Trail information board. Turn left into Nocton village arriving opposite the PO/shop. (The carved bench is a few feet to your left.)
(2)Turn right onto The Green to see the "Sundial" and to visit the church, or go along Main Road from the PO corner to the village hall for the Nocton village trail map and directions. (For a shorter route simply return along the bridle path by which you reached Nocton and keep ahead for Dunston.) The main route continues from The Green. Take the footpath on the left just before the "Sundial" which becomes an unsurfaced lane leading to a road.
(3)Cross to the pavement and bear right, then at a left-hand bend re-cross to a footpath sign by a garden. Ignore this and follow the road a little further over the end of Parklands Avenue to a disused lane on the right. Turn in here and at the end go right then left into Habbanya Road. Follow this round to its end, then walk forward to meet a grass footpath. Now join a stream, continue to a footbridge and then turn right.
(4)Go through some woods to emerge near a footbridge. Cross this, bear left at the field corner and when you come to an estate road turn right. Walk through more woods and then follow the road round to the right to reach the 4-way footpath sign seen earlier; turn left there for Dunston.
(5)Enter Dunston near the school; turn left to return to the inn.
D : km 0 - alt. 16m - Start: Dunston village Inn
1 : km 1.6 - alt. 31m - Join lane at vehicle barrier
2 : km 2.89 - alt. 21m - Turn right onto The Green
3 : km 3.29 - alt. 19m - Turn right along road
4 : km 4.8 - alt. 13m - Exit woods and cross footbridge
5 : km 7.15 - alt. 18m - Enter Dunston near school
A : km 7.43 - alt. 16m - Finish: Dunston village Inn
On my visit there were footpath diversions at Nocton whilst a new housing estate is being developed; my route avoids these. Take care on the road section leaving Nocton village.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The ancient settlement of Dunston was a sizeable community with a population of around 200 people at the time it was recorded in the Domesday Book. St Peter's church retains it's mediaeval tower and an Early English doorway but was otherwise largely rebuilt in 1874; this was paid for by the Ripon family of Nocton Hall. (See below).
In the mid 1700's the Dashwood family owned Dunston and in 1751 Sir Francis Dashwood had the Dunston Pillar built (beside today's A15) on the heathland to the west as a land lighthouse to guide travellers. The original lantern was replaced in1810 by a giant statue of George III in order to commemorate the monarch's jubilee. This was removed during WWII and is now at Lincoln Castle but a modern interpretation of George, carved in wood, stands outside Dunston village hall.
In 1919, following the end of WWI, the Dennis family (Lincolnshire farming magnates) decided to build a "Potato Railway" at Nocton; potatoes being their main crop. Using narrow gauge track obtained from the trenches in France this grew into by far the largest of several such railways in the county and eventually comprised 23 miles of line, which remained operational until 1964. Hardly any of it remains today, though there is an iron post, possibly a watering point, in a hedge gap beside the bridle path at GR059638.
Nocton Hall has been owned by several powerful political families. Amongst them were the Hobart family one of whom, Robert, who was Secretary of State for the Colonies, had Hobart in Tasmania named after him. Later still the Earls of Ripon bought the hall and the first earl (John) became prime minister in 1827/28, but only for five months! The Ripons had a new hall built but that burned down in 1841 and its replacement, which became an RAF hospital for many years, suffered the same fate in 2004.
In 1862 the Countess of Ripon, having demolished the Hobart's earlier Georgian church, paid for the building of Nocton's magnificent All Saints church in memory of her late "prime minister" husband. It is designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, the leading Victorian architect, as an elaborate re-creation of a C13th church and is splendidly ornate both inside and out. The approach path is one of several community artworks in the village.
Other artworks in Nocton make up an arts trail that includes the "Dandelion Sundial" on The Green and a carved bench near the post office. Perhaps the most delightful piece of all however is beside The Bridleway leading towards Dunston. "The Cow" was created by Nocton schoolchildren from scrap farmyard tools. There is also a village history trail too; find a map and information board at the village hall.
This Lincolnshire walk is somewhat different in that walkers can do some route finding for themselves. This is because Chambers Farm Wood has several self-guided, waymarked routes that can be used to vary my preferred route described below. Part of the walk follows quiet country lanes and traverses typical Lincolnshire countryside.
A round trip of 4 miles for locals, with occasional views of Lincoln Cathedral and Ellis Mill.
A Lincolnshire walk that explores the parkland and surroundings of Culverthorpe Hall using some of the many local footpaths and also some of the "Stepping Out" paths set up by North Kesteven District Council.
This pleasant 3 mile walk circles the attractive parishes of Goulceby and Asterby and takes you through gentle farmland, quiet lanes and along part of the Viking Way, offering stunning views over the Lincolnshire Wolds.
This pleasant 3.5 mile walk circles the attractive parishes of Goulceby and Asterby and takes you through gentle farmland, quiet lanes and along part of the Viking Way, offering stunning views over the Lincolnshire Wolds.
This walk links the villages of Fulletby, Tetford and Belchford and the hamlet of Salmonby. It is a walk with great variety - woods, fields, lakes and fine views.
The route takes in a section of the Viking Way long distance footpath and, for a while, follows the course of a Roman Road.
This walk links the quiet villages of Belchford and Scamblesby in the heart of the Lincolnshire Wolds. Enjoy grassy paths, a stream and some fine hilltop views. There are numerous springs nearby which first attracted Neolithic settlers to the area. Two streams converge here to form the source of the River Waring, which flows to Horncastle to join the River Bain.
This walk starts in Belchford, nestling in the Wolds, and goes to the attractive hilltop village of Fulletby. Following part of the Viking Way, you walk through an old meadow and on a clear day enjoy distant views of Lincoln Cathedral.
Absorb the heritage, scenery and wildlife in the heart of the Lincolnshire Wolds.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.