Make your way gently along the the Aulne following the logging trail.
Views over the lock keepers’ houses located on the other side.
Passage through the Vieux-Bourg and its St-They church, the birthplace of the parish of Lothey until 1846.
Technical sheet No. 4098506
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 11.43 km
Vertical gain : 97 m
Vertical drop : 103 m
Highest point : 87 m
Lowest point : 15 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Location : Lothey (29190)
Starting point : N 48.182445° / W 4.027574°
Car park: at the town hall square.
Marker post-tags in Yellow and Red
(S) Exit the car park on the right and leave the town of Lothey by the northbound Route du Vieux-Bourg.
(1) At the first intersection (Yellow post), turn left onto the big Kerevel farm. Walk between the farm buildings, pass a mobile home your left, then turn right at the end of the farm and follow a warren. Continue by an enlarged hollow which heads down to the logging road. You will soon hear the sound of water, a sign of the presence of the first lock.
(2) Leave the logging road to the left (Blue post) and continue right (Yellow and Red post). Go past Écluse de l’Aulne (3), one of three that we will encounter along the circuit.
The route travels along the Aulne for about 7 km. Throughout this section, keep an eye out for the beautiful flowering plant (July-September), the Himalayan balsam, which is unfortunately an invasive plant that is difficult to get rid of.
Continue beyond the second lock, Écluse du Guillec (4). The river makes a wide bend on the right and is overlooked by steep woods.
(5) Reach the third lock, Écluse de Tréziguidy, and continue along a new meander, this time on the left. The trees form a nice arch.
(6) Reach the end of the wooded area and, at the first field (Yellow and Red post markings), turn right into a gravel path that climbs near the woods. Note on the right the ruins of an old house. Continue to the junction with the local road that we follow to the left to reach the Vieux Bourg. Reach the old Chapelle Saint-They, the former parish church before moving to the village of Lothey by Royal Decree in 1846 (7).
Follow the uphill road to the right that allows you to leave the village. At the top of the hill, at a ruin on the left and a house on the right (Yellow and Red post markigns), turn onto a logging route (8). Follow the broad path, join and follow a small road. Leave left the road that ends at Poulhazec farm.
(9) The Y-junction, turn right ignoring the road to the Kerliou farm on the left.
(10) At the next municipal road, make a right-left series of turns and continue on the logging road. (Point of view on a wind farm due west). Follow the grassy track down and join a new local road.
(11) Turn left, follow this road initially downhill and then start the final climb to reach the Bourg de Lothey, the outbound path but now downhill.
D/A : km 0 - alt. 79 m
1 : km 0.4 - alt. 57 m - Turn left towards Elévage of Kerevel
2 : km 1.31 - alt. 19 m - On the right, at the marker follows the logging ro
3 : km 1.39 - alt. 23 m - The Aulne lock
4 : km 3.33 - alt. 16 m - The Guillec lock
5 : km 6.21 - alt. 31 m - Tréziguidy lock
6 : km 7.84 - alt. 30 m - Leave the riverside
7 : km 8.43 - alt. 32 m - Old chapel in Vieux-Bourg
8 : km 8.64 - alt. 49 m - To the right, logging route
9 : km 9.76 - alt. 87 m - Follow the road that turns right
10 : km 10.18 - alt. 82 m - Logging road ahead
11 : km 10.63 - alt. 54 m - At the road, turn left
D/A : km 11.43 - alt. 79 m
Toilets at the car park at the beginning.
Post markers placed at important points.
Hike preferably on mainly dry days (as there is a risk of flooding on the logging roads after rainy periods).
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
Fontaine Saint-Fiacre and washhouse 350 m to the east of the church (signposted).
Three locks with their lock houses that have been successfully renovated and with lovely flora.
Chapelle Saint-They in Vieux-Bourg Église du Vieux-Bourg
Opinions and comments
Global average : 2.67/5
Number of opinions : 1
Clarity of route description : 2/5
Clarity of route map : 4/5
Walk interest : 2/5
Global average : 2.67 / 5
Date of walk
Clarity of route description : ★★☆☆☆ Disappointing
Clarity of route map : ★★★★☆ Good
Walk interest : ★★☆☆☆ Disappointing
The walk has a nasty start through an evil smelling pig farm. Then it follows the river which is wide and slow flowing. A rather boring walk.
Other walks in the area
Circuit of the Canal and Stang Luzigou
Starting point in Ergué-Gabéric (29 - Finistère)
After skirting the Odet and the reaching of the old mills, a beautiful loop takes us through the wooded area of Stang Luzigou. On the return journey, pass through the Kerho Arboretum.
Discover the Saint-Corentin Chapel in the area known as Kreïker.
Hike around the St. Alouarn mill
Starting point in Guengat (29 - Finistère)
Discover the remains of the Manor of Saint-Alouarn and the mill, via the Quimper-Douarnenez bike route and country roads.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.