Around Mere Sands Nature Reserve before making way along Leeds Liverpool Canal tow path and via country tracks back to start.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Take Holmeswood Road west away from Rufford centre.
(1) Turn southwest (left) down Cousins Lane.
(2) Take track west (right) into sports ground and follow it into reserve.
(3) Upon entering Mere Sands nature reserve, turn north (right) along the path. Follow the path as it bends west around the perimeter. Refreshments and guides to Mere Sands Reserve are available here. Cross car park in front of the visitor centre to take path heading northwest. Hides are available around the lake. Turn south (left) to follow the perimeter path. Turn east (left) on the substantial path, more hides off the main path on this section. Cross the footbridge and follow the path briefly south (right). Turn east (left) taking the path along the reserve boundary and exit reserve via sports ground.
::2: Cross Cousins Lane to pick up footpath opposite behind hedge and follow it east behind houses beside dyke. Cross Brick Kiln Lane to continue southeast on the footpath beside dyke.
(4) Turn south (right) on the pavement beside Liverpool Road. Carefully cross Liverpool Road to take the path east (left) over the swing bridge.
(5) Take canal towpath north (left). Refreshments are available at Rufford Marina on the west side of the canal (left), otherwise, follow the towpath under the bridge.
(6) Pass under the bridge to take steps up to Croston Road and turn briefly west (right) before crossing the road to take Spark Lane south. Carefully cross A59 to take Croston Road west.
(7) Turn south (left) on a substantial track. Upon reaching Holmeswood Road, turn southwest (left) along the pavement.(D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 17m - The Paddock
1 : km 0.37 - alt. 13m - Cousins Lane
2 : km 0.72 - alt. 6m - Cousins Lane
3 : km 0.97 - alt. 10m - Mere Sands
4 : km 4.78 - alt. 7m - Liverpool Rd
5 : km 4.92 - alt. 5m - Swing Bridge
6 : km 7.44 - alt. 5m - Croston Rd
7 : km 8.72 - alt. 10m - Park Farm
8 : km 9.25 - alt. 11m - Holmeswood Rd
D/A : km 10.42 - alt. 17m - The Paddock
Parking at start L40 1SS.
Refreshments Mere Sands Reserve.
More info : www.graemelinford.com/walks/mere_sands.html
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Visitor centre with cafe, shop and leaflets.
Bird hides around lakes to watch wildlife.
A very easy to follow 6 mile circular walk beginning at Rufford Marina and initially taking towpath North beside Leeds Liverpool Canal before taking footpath South along the levee beside River Douglas back to start.
The walk starts from Wayfarers pub Parbold and follows the clockwise circular route via Leeds Liverpool canal, Fairy Glen and Parbold Hill.
More details : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/fairy...
A circular walk starting from Liverpool Old Rd taking paths beside River Douglas to Dolphin Inn then over farm tracks to Much Hoole and then more farm tracks back to start.
8m circular walk starting from Beacon Park then via Dean Brook to Roby Mill onto Ashurst Beacon and back to Beacon Park. Good views over Winter Hill and Mersey Estuary on the route.
This route beginning opposite Hutton Grammar school and making way to Dolphin Pub via Longton Brook, Back Lane and Marsh Lane. Return is via section of Ribble Way, River Ribble and open farmland back to start.
7 mile circular walk starting from Potters Wood Gathurst, joining Leeds Liverpool Canal before ascending to Bank Top then via Dean Brook back to start.
Route initially along Rainford Linear Park before heading over open countryside back to start.
Starting from Sidling Lane Nature Reserve travelling along the edge of the reserve before crossing the railway line to continue over open farmland and country lanes to re-enter via the woodland section of the reserve.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.