A lengthy uphill climb with sweeping landscape views, the Moose Mountain Trail is an amazing adventure just 45 minutes from Calgary that showcases the natural beauty of Bragg Creek. Trek up through the forest and into the mountainous terrain to reach the summit of Moose Mountain, where you can gaze out across the Rockies from atop the fire tower.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the Moose Mountain Trailhead, make your way North along the Moose Mountain Trail. There aren’t many intersecting paths along this hike, so there is no reason to worry about losing your way.
(1) After 650m of hiking through the forest, you will traverse Buggeration Hill, keeping straight along the trail as it continues North. Here, the trail will descend slightly, giving you a great view of the approach you will take to the summit of Moose Mountain.
(2) Arriving at a junction in 600m, turn left (North-North-West) and follow the path as it continues through the woodland landscape, now in a Northwest direction. Keeping left for the next 3.2km, the path will bend West and exit the cover of the forest.
(3) Continue climbing uphill to the West to begin your summit approach to Moose Mountain . The road here is well-maintained and forms a switchback up the mountain; however, many people opt to simply tackle it head-on to reach the summit.
(4) 1.6km after exiting the forest, you will traverse the false summit of Moose Mountain (2315m) and continue West to reach the true summit. Here, you will enjoy incredible views of the surrounding Rocky mountain landscape.
(5) After taking in the views at the summit of Moose Mountain (2437m), turn back along the trail and retrace your steps to the Moose Mountain Trailhead, where you will find your vehicle and can begin planning your next amazing hike in the Bragg Creek area. (D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 1980m - Moose Mountain Trailhead
1 : km 0.7 - alt. 1996m - Forest - Buggeration Hill
2 : km 1.28 - alt. 1905m - Junction
3 : km 4.46 - alt. 2062m - Switchback
4 : km 6.03 - alt. 2300m - False summit of Moose Mountain (2315m)
5 : km 7.32 - alt. 2398m - Moose Mountain (2437m) summit
D/A : km 14.7 - alt. 1980m - Moose Mountain Trailhead
Car park : Moose Mountain Road
Find more hiking trails in the Canadian Rockies at 10Adventures here.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Forests, foothills, mountains, mountain ridges, rock formations
Featuring an interesting cave system and a beautifully scenic setting in Kananaskis country, the Canyon Creek Ice Caves Trail is a fun route to explore when visiting Bragg Creek. Although the first half of the hike isn’t anything spectacular, the final portion more than makes up for any dull moments hiking along a forest service road!
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.