After a brief incursion into the grounds of the Colette castle/museum and the passage at the foot of the Saracen tower, this walk continues through the countryside along the lanes of the Puisaye.
(D/A) The walk starts from the market place (Place du Marché) in the town centre. Facing the tourist office walk up Grande Rue to the left and then take Rue de Bel Air to your right (on foot to begin with). After about 100 metres go through the gates into the castle grounds. Follow the path round to the left between the rocks and the building. The foot of the Saracen Tower is on your right. Go down to the right towards the carpark. Continue past the Colette Museum on your right. Leave the carpark and turn left down Rue de la Roche.
(1)At the bottom of the hill, facing the level crossing turn left into Rue de la Gare. Ignore the next level level crossing and continue following the road to the left until you reach the junction opposite some old buildings with a tall brick chimney (la Poèterie ). Turn right and go over the level crossing and continue straight on until you reach a crossroads.
(2)Bear right and continue straight on to the junction with the D7. Do a right then immediate left to follow the direction of the Orme du Pont pond. Skirt around the pond.
(3) The route now follows a section signposted for mountain bikes. The signposts are marked "circuit N°4 Etang de l'Orme du Pont". Go up the road and continue straight on ignoring the road to "Rebles" on your left. This is a winding road. Ignore the tracks leading to the next 2 farms and the road to "Veillats" (a dead end).
Arriving at a T junction with a house on the left, turn right to reach the D955.
(4) Cross over and continue opposite towards Les Cagnats (small ponds on the left). Continue straight on, ignoring the road to Les Lorets on your right.
(5) Go straight on to reach the village of Moutiers. Take the first road on the right to go past the the entrance to the church (6) and turn right.
(7) This is the end of the mountain bike signposted section. Turn left and continue towards Saint-Sauveur en Puisaye.
(8) Take the D955 on the left and continue for 80 metres. Continue opposite up Rue du Haras. At the end, at a small square, bear right and go under the porch. (D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 268m - Musée Colette
1 : km 0.36 - alt. 248m - Turn left at bottom of hill
2 : km 1.4 - alt. 260m - La Poéterie (Saint-Sauveur-en-Puisaye)
3 : km 3.55 - alt. 274m - Turn right and continue along road
4 : km 5.02 - alt. 241m - Start of mountain bike signed section
5 : km 8.18 - alt. 269m - Cross the D955 and go straight on
6 : km 9.53 - alt. 241m - Continue straight on
7 : km 9.94 - alt. 227m - Turn right after the church
8 : km 10.25 - alt. 229m - Leave mountain bike section and go straight on
9 : km 11.78 - alt. 252m - Take the D955 for 80m
D/A : km 12.44 - alt. 269m - Saint-Sauveur-en-Puisaye market place - Tour sarrasine (Saint-Sauveur-en-Puisaye)
Be very careful to respect the highway code when following this route. Pay attention when crossing the railway tracks. To the right and left, the tourist train has priority. For your safety, do not hesitate to dismount when crossing.
The signposted section is not very obvious. The signage is attached to wooden posts and road signs.
There are toilets in Moutiers and at the arrival point to the right after the porch.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2521SB, 2621SB.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
To visit along the way:
The Colette museum
(6) The church of Moutiers en Puisaye
In the nearby area:
The galleries in the village
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.