Set off on a tour through the historic centre of Sens to discover the many tourist attractions of this beautiful city.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
The departure point is from Place Jean Jaurès (large car park).
(D/A) With your back to the kiosk entrance of the former tourist office, cross the road and follow the pedestrian path of the Promenades, along the Boulevard des Garibaldi. Walk along with the Sens Municipal Theatre on your right and pass the fountain. Continue straight ahead, in front of the Church of Sainte-Mathie on the right and the bandstand a bit further on. Cross Boulevard de Maupeou to join Quai Jean Moulin (pedestrian crossings). Turn left and follow the Yonne river for a few dozen metres, before going up to the Yonne bridge.
(1) Cross the bridge, then turn right to get to the Church of Saint-Maurice below. Immediately turn right, go down the paved stairs and follow the Quai de l'Yonne for about 400m. Turn left twice and continue on the Quai de la Fausse Rivière. Continue on this road to return to the main street, Lucien Cornet. Cross this street and turn left. Next, turn right into Rue Claude Bernard, then take a narrow passage on the right that leads back to the banks of the Yonne river.
(2) Continue to the tip of the Ile d'Yonne and the nautical base, then turn left onto the Quai Boﬀrand to get back to the Yonne bridge. Cross it again, staying on the pavement on the right side. At the end of the bridge, turn right on Quai Ernest Landry. Walk around 100m down and cross again to reach the Promenades. Follow the Promenades (Cours Tarbé) until you reach Square Jean Cousin. When leaving this square, cross the crossroads and continue straight on. Pass in front of the Poterne (remains of the ramparts) on the left, before continuing straight on until Place des Héros.
(3) Cross the Boulevard du Mail on the right, walk several steps, then turn right immediately onto Rue Gué Saint-Jean. Pass in front of the wash-house, before taking the direction of Rue Ambroise Paré. At the end, turn left into Rue Alsace Lorraine. Cross at the crossroads and turn right onto the Promenades. Continue until Place Jean Jaurès, then turn left into the small street Rue Drapès, then right and then left again to arrive onto Place Drapès. Join opposite the Rue de Brennus, in order to reach the Place de la République and its famous Saint-Étienne Cathedral.
(4) Walk past the carousel and turn left to reach the Rue des Déportés de la Résistance. Go up to the Orangerie garden.
(5) After admiring it, retrace your steps for several dozen metres and turn left into Rue Abélard. At the end of this road, turn right onto Rue du Général Alix. Continue straight ahead and cross the Rue de la République at the Maison d'Abraham.
(6) Continue on Rue Jean Cousin, then turn left into Rue Cugnières. Turn right onto Rue Jossey and walk past the Maison Jean Cousin, which regularly houses temporary exhibitions. At the next intersection, turn right into Rue de l'Écrivain, then left onto Rue de l'Épée. Walk along the Palais de Justice and return to the Grande Rue. Turn right and go up this pedestrian street until the fourth street on the left. Take Rue du Plat d'Étain, then turn right into Rue Voltaire to continue along the Covered Market on your right side.
(7) Again on the Place de la République, facing the cathedral, turn left into Rue de la République. Walk in front of the Hôtel de Ville with the statue of Brennus on top. Keep going straight until you get back to Place Jean Jaurès (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. 73m - Place Jean Jaurès
1 : km 0.63 - alt. 68m - Yonne Bridge
2 : km 2 - alt. 66m - Tip of Île d'Yonne
3 : km 3.87 - alt. 77m - Place des Héros
4 : km 4.98 - alt. 77m - Saint-Étienne Cathedral - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne de Sens
5 : km 5.17 - alt. 78m - Orangerie garden
6 : km 5.49 - alt. 75m - Maison d'Abraham
7 : km 6.62 - alt. 77m - Sens covered market - Marché couvert de Sens
D/A : km 6.89 - alt. 73m - Place Jean Jaurès
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
- Square Jean Cousin.
Reserved for walkers and cyclists, this easy loop in a calm setting will allow you to explore the Sens vine conservatory comprising more than 600 plants of 30 grape different varieties, before returning via the banks of the Yonne. Along the way, you’ll also find a sports circuit with gym apparatus, and a golf driving range.
This pleasant circuit offers beautiful views of the town of Villeneuve-sur-Yonne, thanks to its small climbs. The path across woodland provides shade on one-third of the route during sunny weather.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.